ASUS to offer DUAL 7800GTX vid card???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Sep 15, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Source : TechSpot

Wanna see a sneak preview??? Visit HERE

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Time to duct tape a 400W psu to the top of my case.

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Lol, Im interested in seeing what the PSU requirements are for this baby! 2 7800GTX cards as SLI probably require about 400watts.... but 4 vid card processors as 2 cards in SLI!!! Can you say 1000+ FPS!!?!?!?!?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm still trying to figure out which bank to rob?

When you consider that dual-core CPU's are the way of the future, then this is just a natural progression for the video card industry.

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I dont believe the the technology is released that would allow effectively 4 GPU's to run, as SLI is currently for 2. If this is anything like the dual 6600GT Gigabyte 3D1, the single card runs in SLI mode.

but i may be wrong... which would be cool :p

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I agree. Not the part where you may be wrong, this just seems like a copy of the giga-byte efforts.

I remember way back in 3dfx did something similar. Two cards in one, but it was a double slot type of thing. If memory serves me..

In the end, who really cares....when the 99800GTXteme comes out, there will be someone out there to create something similar. It will require fusion power to run....

okay, I'm getting a bit drunk....over and out.... :)

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

haha, i mean not to embarass you by this, but that 'thing' that 3dfx did WAS SLI. nVidia bought 3dfx, and they just now brough SLI back. These 2-in-1 cards are essentially SLI in a single card, and if these new ASUS are similar in performance as Gigabyte was, they reflect nearly the same performance of a dual card SLI.

8. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Well, I'll try not to embarass you too much then... 3dfx did do SLI with the 12Mb Voodoo2s, but they also had 2 gpus on one card with some of the Voodoo4 and 5s. And actually, STB bought 3dfx, not nVidia. nVidia may have subsequently bought STB though... I don't know.

Also, these cards have been announced for a while now. If I remember correctly, there are already some 6600GTs with dual gpus. Here it is. Back in January Tom's Hardware had an article about a dual gpu 6600 card:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050111/index.html

P.S. You can run them in SLI, the technology is gpu independent.

P.P.S You can actually buy Gigabyte's 3d1 (dual-core card) @ newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

10. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Well, all I know is that back when I had my Voodoo3 3000 card and 3dfx started to go under, their website began to link straight to www.stb.com.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds