ATAPI Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by picvjt, Nov 4, 2008.

1. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

Hello out there - My AMD machine hangs often, locking up for several seconds. In the attached event viewer log I have two recurring error messages ATAPI error and CDROM error. When this occurs I am not writing to my DVD drive and there is no physical CD or DVD in the unit. Any tips on how to fix. Thanks in advance - vince

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

This could be a cable problem unplug the cables to your drives and plug them back and see if the problem disappears. If not leave you CD unplugged on the next reboot to see if it is causing the problem. You may have to change your cables. Don’t forget to unplug to power while working inside your computer.

3. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

Many roads led to a cable problem, so when I finally looked at them closely I noticed that I had my DVD connected to the number 2 SATA slot and a third hard drive connected to the number 1 SATA slot. As soon as I reversed the order – Whaaamo everything worked as advertised. Thanks to all who offered assistance. Vince

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds