Athlon-M 1.5ghz in Desktop Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jockthescotsman, Sep 5, 2006.

1. jockthescotsman

jockthescotsman Private E-2

I have a Gigabyte Ga-7ixeh motherboard with an Athlon 1ghz processor, I wanted to upgrade the processor, so I bought a Athlon XP-M 1500 processor, only to realise afterwards that it was a laptop processor.
    Will this run on my motherboard, if so, what do I have to do?
    Would like some info please!
    The new processor is a AXMD1500FQQ3B.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

It may run but the voltages supplied to desktop chips are generally higher (by about 0.1V) than those in laptops. It really depends on what range you particular chip can tolerate.

3. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Private E-2

Hi jockthescotsman,

It should work in a desktop system just fine.

The only problem you may run into is that you may need to adjust the multiplier in your bios -

say your memory is running at 100 fsb and cpu the multiplier is 15

so 100 x 15 = 1500 MHz

If the cpu multiplier is locked then you should be OK, if not, then the motherboard may automatically set it for you.

The problem is the motherboard usually sets the multiplier low (like 6 or something) and most mobo don't allow you to change this setting unless they are overclocker friendly.

The only way to know is to install the cpu and see what speed it's running at. If it shows that its running at less than the rated speed then the multiplier is not set correctly. If the multiplier is not set correctly and it cannot be adjusted in the bios, then you may not be able to use the mobile cpu.

Hope this helps.

E.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  4. jockthescotsman

jockthescotsman Private E-2

Thanks Estima8tor

That was precise and to the point, I will try it out when it arrives!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds