Athlon XP 2400+ causing sound issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnmays, Jul 31, 2008.

1. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

Hi all,
    I need some help. It is driving me crazy that I can't figure this out. I have recently purchased a new processor. It is an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. I had an AMD Athlon XP1700+. My system is old and outdated, but I don't have the money to buy a new computer yet. I figured out everything and got it upgraded, but now the sound distorts and causes it to sound terrible. I tried everything....putting in new and old drivers on my Santa Cruz sound card, changing settings in bios, updated motherboard bios. I have done everything I can think of. I have discovered that if I go to 100mhz fsb on my processor, it solves the sound problem, but I don't want to do that cause that puts my processor at running at 1500mhz instead of 2.0gigs like it should, and that's no better than my old 1700+ running at 1.47gig. I can load up a song and go to a web page and everything is fine, but as soon as I scroll up or down on the page, the sound becomes distorted and terrible. My games have a terrible sound too while playing. Is there something I am missing? I have no other ideas. Is my new cpu bad? Can it cause sound trouble like that. Here are my systems specs and maybe one of you gentlemen could give me some ideas. I put in my old 1700+ and everything works great. I just don't understand.

Custom built system:
    Asus A7S333 motherboard(updated bios so it will support my 2400+)
    Maxtor 40 gig hard drive
    1.5 gigs of ram
    Nvidia Geforce 5600 fx
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz(pci sound card)(yes, onboard sound is disabled)
    240W power supply(I know it's low, but it works fine with the 1700+ and they are running on the same voltage)

I am desperate for advice. Thanks a bunches. John

2. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

oh yea, I am running XP Home Edition if you need to know that. I have also tried it on Windows 2000 pro and 98se for testing, but I still get the same issue with the cpu...

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Could you have moved the sound card out of position when you installed your processor? Perhaps removing the card and reseating it would be worthwhile. And, check your speaker wires to make sure they're properly connected.

4. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

I have already tried that. It did not work. I have moved the sound card and reset. I also took my santa cruz sound card out and enabled my onboard sound, but it also had the distortions. I got rid of the distortions by putting my 1700+ back in system. I just have never heard of this before. I didn't think a processor could cause sound problems. Have any of you guys ever had a cpu cause sound problems before?

5. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

This is driving me nuts...lol. I can put my fsb back to 100 in my bios for my cpu and the sound problem is fixed. The processor will then run at 1500mhz though. Does that give anyone a clue to what might be causing the issue. If i run it stock, it has the terrible sound, and go and underclock the processor and it sounds fine. Hope that will give someone an idea what might be causing the issue.

Thanks, John

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

It might be worth getting a different sound card. I have a similar machine (typing on it matter of fact) with a very similar history, but my sound was on the motherboard (Elite, not the best brand but it's treated me right).

7. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

I have tried putting a different sound card in also...I have tried onboard, santa cruz and a cheapo I picked up from the bargain bin...all with the same interference with the noise. Noise always goes away if I clock it to 1500mhz instead of 2000 or if I just put my old 1700+ back in sytem. It has to be something to do with either my processor is bad and causing sound issues or it must be the motherboard not happy with that type of processor. I guess it must be the motherboard not liking to run at 2.0 gigs. I guess I'll just have to deal with my slow 1700+ and put up my 2400+ for a later date...lol...I have got no more ideas what would be causing it. I have even tried every bios that they released with the A7S333 board with no luck. You guys know how it is, you get something new to put in your system and get very excited, and boy does it drive you nuts not to figure out the problem...lol.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try changing your Hardware acceleration.
    Goto Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, click the Volume tab.
    Under Speaker Settings, click Advanced, click the Performance tab, and finally slide the Hardware aceleration down or up, until you get a result.
    (Usually it will be set at full, as Default)

9. johnmays

johnmays Private E-2

I have tried that with no luck. I turned it all the way down, but no go. Thanks for the idea though. Bummers...lol.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds