ATI 9600 Video card problems w/WINXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miranda29mm, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

Winxp tells me in my device manager that I have 2 video cards the exact same kind. Radeon 9600 and the next one listed is Secondary. I can't seem to get The Sims 2 to play on this system even though it tested out as being WAY over the specs. Also, it thinks there are 2 monitors here when there is not. It doesn't have onboard video either. It thinks I have one video card that is PCI and the other one is AGP. Plus when I try to disable the secondary, and uninstall it, windows says new hardware found "Secondary." I'm at a loss of what to do?!

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

make sure all drivers are up to date. the ati 9600 i have on the wifes machine shows primary and secondary also so i'm not positive but i do believe it should be that way.Hope it helps :cool:

3. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

Yea.. newest drivers... just frustrated. :( It also thinks I have 2 monitors too. Is that normal?

I just really want to know why The Sims2 goes all fuzzy screen on me after a few minutes of game play. It's bizarre.

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

it gets fuzzy after youve been playing for a few minutes? only sims2 or all games?

5. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

Haven't tried anything else. Just tried this game. It's a whole "new" to me system. So I'm hoping perhaps its just the game? I'm not really sure. The install was totally fine though, and I uinstalled and reinstalled it. So I thought perhaps it wasn't the game, that the video card was flipping out on me.

6. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

could be a heat issue with the card . could try to open the case and set a fan blowing right on the video card see if it goes longer without getting fuzzy

7. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

well by fuzzy i meant.. like what you would see on a tv where you don't get that channel? I meant like actual lines on the screen. Fuzzy snowy... etc.. its unplayable watchable.. forced to reboot.

8. pinball

pinball Private E-2

the read on the secondary card is nornal i do believe, but i dont know about the monitor

9. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

windows xp detecting ati radeon 9600 with two monitors is normal just update your drivers and see if that helps in getting sims 2 to work.

10. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

My drivers are dated 9/2005

Shouldn't these be the latest?

11. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

try looking in your bios and see if your video is set to pci or agp ive seen on some boards that if you install a agp card and the bios is set to pci it will show 2 cards hope this helps

12. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

You may also need to check and make sure the card is seated right when it does it again shut down and check and see if the card is hot to the touch
    hope this helps

13. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

Checked the BIOS it is set for AGP... and I have fans all over the place in my case so it isn't hot to the touch. I am thinking I either need to reinstall xp or get a new video card.

14. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

If going to get a new card get an nvidia geforce video card (i've got an geforce fx 5700 le) and windows doesn't show two monitors with it. :D

15. Miranda29mm

Miranda29mm Private E-2

Well, too bad we can't decide what the problem is. Going to go ahead and reinstall windows xp this upcoming weekend. If STILL a problem.. then I'll get the nvidia card just mentioned.

16. fadead

fadead Private E-2

best bet is just to reinstall the video card driver =P make sure you completely uninstall that old one(s) whatever tho :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds