ATI Catalyst Control Center problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by zackteach, Jan 31, 2011.

1. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

I'm running a windows XP 32 bit home edition on an Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.0GHZ processor. 2 Gigabytes of Ram, and my video card is an ATI Sapphire HD 3850 AGP.

My problem is that the Catalyst Control Center is simply not starting. I've uninstalled everything ATI related, went in to safe mode and used CC Cleaner and Driver Sweeper to remove registries left behind, and re-installed everything using my original disc that came when I purchased the card.

My graphics problem is that the walls in any 3D game are just disappearing and shaking all over the place. The games still load and run and play smoothly otherwise, but the rendering or something is all off.

When I try to reinstall the CCC, I get an error through the installation but it doesn't tell me the error or give me a log. It just says installation error. Now when I try to start CCC, sometimes I can find it in my running processes, but it doesn't actually run or let me do anything with it. Anyone able to help?

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

3. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

I tried that link, and it gave me something I hadn't had before. After I ran it, it gave me installation error and told me to restart. When I restarted, the ATI Opt-in showed up, so that's something new. But besides that, CCC still ain't starting. Here's the log.

Catalystâ„¢ Install Manager
    Installation Report
    01/30/11 22:32:54

Hardware information
    Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
    Device ID 0x9515
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x030000
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0x0028
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x174b
    Other hardware
    Existing packages
    ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    ATI Display Driver
    The Lord of the Rings FREE Trial
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
    Communication Opt-in
    Packages for install
    ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    Final Status: Success
    Version of Item: 3.0.808.0
    Size: 20 Mbytes
    ATI Stream SDK v2 Developer
    Final Status: Success
    Version of Item: 2.3.0.0
    Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices
    ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
    Device ID 0x9515
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x030000
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0x0028
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x174b

Error messages

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

have you looked at the start programs folder under the ati installation for restart ccc?

edit:

also, look in task manager, it maybe starting just not showing in the notification area...

5. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

Yes, I've tried restart wizard (that's the only thing that says Restart in it in the start programs ATI folder), it had no effect.

I opened up task manager and watched the processes as I tried to open CCC. MOM.exe and CCC.exe both popped up for a second, then just closed themselves.

Also, when I turned on my PC just now, I got this notification of some error regarding CCC and wanted me to report it. I tried to copy it, I thought I did, but apparently it didn't take...It wasn't the standard windows error reporter, it looked like a custom one for ATI.

6. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

I tried to find an edit option but maybe I'm just blind or there isn't one. Either way, I have another problem that I think is related. Now I'm having random restarts. I can't figure out what triggers them, but so far it's happened while browsing the internet and just clicking a link. Doesn't seem to matter what site. It's happened with this messageboard, another messageboard, google...and everytime when I come back, I get a "Windows has recovered from a serious error". Basically I just click a link, and everything hangs up. I can move my mouse around, but nothing else responds at all. Not ctrl alt delete, not clicking anything, and then it just restarts.

This is the error report I got.

[​IMG]

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you got installed .NET as CCC needs .NET to work? version 4.0 is HERE

also download the individual driver files (can find them at the same link as earlier) as in the graphic driver and the CCC and then install the display driver and reboot then install CCC and reboot.

8. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

I downloaded the .net 4, although I did already have 2. I dunno if that fixed the problem or not. I tried to install CCC to my D drive instead of my C Drive, and apparently that worked enough to let me open the Control Center again. So I went and tried to run Morrowind, but the graphics are still just as messed up as they were before.

The sudden reboot problem has been persisting up until I just installed CCC, though I don't know if it's actually stopped or just biding it's time. So far it's done it several times, sometimes within 3 minutes of a reboot and sometimes it's lasted over an hour. It's happened mostly while browsing the internet, messageboards and online stores, but the search feature on my computer also triggered it. No idea.

9. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

Update - CCC is now working completely, and I uninstalled everything ATI related off of my C drive and moved it all to my D Drive. It still gave installation warnings, but it didn't stop installation. I also pulled the graphics card out and cleaned it off since I hadn't done that in awhile, then put it back. I also added the digital cord to my monitor, it has 2 cords for analog and digital and I realized that since moving, I hadn't had both in.

Unfortunately that wasn't the problem. In either digital or analog, I still get the problem and I know now all of my drivers are up to date. I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong at this point.

The random restart is still happening, but it seems like its frequency has gone down a whole lot. It still seems to happen most when I'm browsing anything on the internet. I can't figure that out either. The error message is always the same when my system comes back from the restart, it's the one I posted earlier. I just don't know.

10. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Have you tested for RAM trouble? memtest?
    Having both cables to one monitor isn't going to do much, they are two different ways to get a video feed to your video output. I use two from my vid card but one is going DVI to a monitor with HDMI going to a HDTV.
    How is your HDD condition? (hdd-hard drive) Have you scanned for errors? Or anything to test the overall state?

11. zackteach

zackteach Private E-2

Yes, and none of which detected any errors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds