ATi Mobility Radeon 9700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neal_Madlani, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Neal_Madlani

Neal_Madlani Private E-2

hi guys, ive been experiencing problems with drivers and i though you might be able to help after looking around.
    Heres the situation:
    yesterday i installed their newest drivers dated 14/09/05 with the catalyst control centre.
    Everything is so sweet, HL2 has never looked so good!
    but one major problem, everytime i run a movie file the sound is produced as normal but the picture is unwatchable, it just stutter horribly and becomes blocky. Ive tried .avi, divx, mpeg4 and even my DVB doesnt work. Im running a P4 3.2ghz, 1GB Ram laptop. My friend told me its something to do with something called overlay but we both couldnt find any settings about this. Any ideas would be appretiated greatly, so thanx in advance

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would reload the drivers that the laptop manufacturer has for it, due to the drivers at ATI's site are not always compatible with OEM parts.

3. Neal_Madlani

Neal_Madlani Private E-2

i would normally do that but the thing is i really want to keep these drivers because they are making everything run so smoothly, when i minimise counter strike 2 it takes literally about 2seconds where before it was like around 40secounds. So if there's any i can do that will solve the problem simply by changing a setting, i'd rater do that 1st

4. howiefix

howiefix Private E-2

sounds like you are running too many processes. Check the task monitor
    Howiefix

5. Neal_Madlani

Neal_Madlani Private E-2

umm, you've gone over my head already! could you put that in laymans terms, what should i be looking for in the task monitor??

6. howiefix

howiefix Private E-2

to find out how many processes are running.
    Close all open programs
    Press "alt+ctrl+del"
    The task manager will start
    Read the number of processes
    Post the number and we will go forward from that point

Howiefix

7. Neal_Madlani

Neal_Madlani Private E-2

i counted 38 in total,
    svchost.exe this occured 6 times
    CLI.exe
    WLAN_Service.exe
    WlanUtility.exe
    taskmgr.exe
    WinManager.exe
    alg.exe
    mysql-nt.exe
    Apache.exe
    MDM.exe
    CLI.exe
    SAgent2.exe
    Apache.exe
    gcasServ.exe
    explorer.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    cleanmgr.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    svchost.exe
    lsass.exe
    services.exe
    winlogon.exe
    csrss.exe
    smss.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

it seems like there are quite a few that are called the same but occur twice or more, eg.svchost is listed 6 times, ati2evxx is actually listed twice aswell, maybe this is the reason???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds