ATI Radeon 3400 series problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davesampsell, Jan 2, 2010.

1. davesampsell

davesampsell Private E-2

I've had my computer for over a year now, and when I got it, it was running Windows Vista. A couple of days ago, I upgraded to Windows 7. The computer has a ATI Radeon 3400 series video card, though I'm not sure where to find exactly what card it is. Anyway, every once in a while, when I had Vista, I would be in the middle of just browsing the web, and, all of the sudden, my screen would freeze up, then everything would go all funky (the colors were right, but the picture was all screwy, I don't know how to explain it), and finally, my screen would go blank, then the picture would come right back up, but the colors would be somewhat off. What I mean is the picture just looked like it had a lot less quality. There would be something down in the bottom right of the screen that said "ATI Radeon... had an error and restarted" or something to that effect. Now that I've upgraded to Windows 7, I was hoping that if it was a software problem between Vista and this card or something, it would go away, but unfortunately, now instead of my picture coming back up after the screen goes all funky, I go to the good ol' blue screen I love so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Hello,

Try updating the drivers for your GPU

Check the Nvidia web site

How long have you had this card?

When did u install it? Did u use antistatic bands/ or ground yourself before hand?

I'm asking because this happened to me once when i didnt use a band, it killed the card and it gave strange colour outputs with vertical lines!

That scared me enough to buy antistatic bands and work mat!

Burrell

3. davesampsell

davesampsell Private E-2

Actually, I bought this computer and it was already built for me straight from dell. I do build some of my computers, but I was getting this for college and decided I wanted the warranty stuff for it. I'll try updating stuff, though.

4. detroitdawg

detroitdawg Private E-2

what are your system specs (does it have onboard graphics?), what make and model power supply do you have?

One thing you can do (if you have onboard graphics) is to uninstall the drivers (ati3400) and ati control panel if installed, shutdown the pc, unplug for a minute and pull the card out. reboot using the onboard graphics, let it load up then re-shutdown, reinstall the video card and let windows 7 choose the driver automatically. That may solve your problem in the event it is a driver conflict.

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

if detroit's suggestion doesnt work, then i would say your card isnt win 7 compatible or its had some kind of static shock.

Can you try another card in the system?

Burrell

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I take it this was a upgrade install to Windows 7 over a clean install, if so what ever issue was causing your Vista to BSOD (and what is the BSOD code in full as it does help), has travelled over to the upgrade as same files etc in the main will be on the PC.

Best is a clean install because I have seen this with an Nvidia card on an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and even though we had used the upgrade Advisor for Windows 7 to narrow down any potential issues, this was a new issue to the PC, didnt happen in the Vista install, so some other app or file was likely causing it, but owner of machine decided best to clean install and come afresh into Windows 7, which now its working prefectly.

Your card is not incompatible with Windows 7, static shock possible but I'd not think it was, just think you have a driver issue or another starting app thats not compatible, boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and see if you get any issues, screen res is not great in safe mode but its to help troubleshoot, and let us know if you have same errors in safe mode.

Do also tell us what applications you have running at startup, even go the route of disabling them all to test, use msconfig for this, then see if PC works ok in normal mode.

For getting you any drivers you will have to tell us what model Dell it is, so we know if its mobility or the normal drivers for the below steps?

BUT

What I would do is to download and install Driver Sweeper (BUT do not run it yet) download the lastest driver version for your graphic card BUT dont install yet.

Use Add/Remove and unsinstall your ATi Graphics Driver, then reboot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and then run Driver Sweeper to remove any ATi Graphics files

Then install the ATi driver you downloaded earlier and once installed if not prompted to reboot, reboot into normal mode.

To be honest if you have a full version of Windows 7 then a full clean install maybe best route but dont concider that yet as fixing the driver may help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds