ATI Radeon HD 3200 & Vista x64 MCE WMP DVD Movie Playback Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by bkrueger, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkrueger

bkrueger Private E-2

Was experiencing DVD Movie viewing issues on my new PC through Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center on Vista x64. Windows driver update and the Gateway support site both told me I had the most recent drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 3200 video card.

Found this thread while searching the AMD site. It's not exactly the problem I was having, but I noticed there was a newer version of the driver and Catalyst Control Center than I was finding from MSFT or Gateway.

In looking on the drivers page, I noticed that the HD 3200 isn't listed as one of the devices for which there are drivers, so I selected the x64 Radeon HD 3400 option and took my chances.

Works perfectly. Hope this saves someone else the time I wasted. The troubling part even now is that it played the same DVDs, stored on HDD, just fine. It was only when playing them directly off the original media that the pixelating showed up. Oh well...I'll save my confusion for something more important.

bill

Gateway GT5676
    • AMD Phenom (Quad Core) 9600 2.3GHz Processor
    • Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
    • 2MB L2 Cache, 3600MHz Bus Speed
    • 4096MB DDR2 (PC2-5300) RAM
    • 640GB (2 x 320GB 7200RPM, 8MB Cache) SATA II Hard Drive
    • ATI Radeon HD 3200 with 128MB shared Graphics Memory
    • 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW Widescreen LCD Flatpanel
    • 18x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash
    • 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
    • 10/100/1000 MBps Ethernet LAN
    • 15-in-1 card Digital Media reader
    • Gateway Portable Media Drive Bay
    • Front ports: 2 x USB, IEEE-1394, Microphone, Headphone
    • Back ports: 4 x USB, IEEE-1394, Line-in, Rear speaker-out, Side speaker out, Center (subwoofer), 2 x PS2 ports (keyboard, mouse), RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45 (LAN), HDMI
    • Expansion slots: 2 PCI (1 available), 1 x PCI Express x1 (1 available), 1 x PCI Express x16 (1 available)
    • Drive bays: 2 x external 5.25" (1 available), 3 x internal 3.5" (1 available)

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. fidaleo

fidaleo Private E-2

bkrueger...read your post with interest....just build a HTPC machine with about the same spec as yours...same onboard graphics radeon HD 3200

I'm getting a simialr problem when watching a dvd.....audio is fine but picture is distored with coloured blocks with glimpses of the real image at times....was this the same problem you were expereiencing ?

Thanks

3. bkrueger

bkrueger Private E-2

That was it. I tried multiple things with absolutely no result. Came across the reference to the updated driver and control center, installed, and all was well. I think the reason the 3200 isn't explicitly mentioned on the ATI support pages is because it's on-board. Good luck!

4. fidaleo

fidaleo Private E-2

makes me feel slightly more confident I can get it fixed....besides that everything works great but playing dvd's via media centre is a bit of a basic requirement

Thanks for that

5. bkrueger

bkrueger Private E-2

One additional comment. When attempting to install the updates the first time, Vista kept saying my drivers, etc. were up to date. I uninstalled the Catalyst software first (gave me a low resolution to deal with temporarily). Then, I installed the new version.

6. fidaleo

fidaleo Private E-2

Thanks for your help...that cured my problem...now onto getting blu ray working....much appreciated:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds