Attempted Reinstall but did Clean Install. Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by prplmtngal, Sep 24, 2005.

1. prplmtngal

prplmtngal Private E-2

I was just trying to keep my dinosaur going until I could afford a new system (within the next 2-3 months) and was getting a lot of hang ups when booting up. I used gateway recovery disks to try and repair and low and behold, i have what appears to be a virgin computer. Miracle of miracles. Needless to say, I no longer have any pic's or documents stored on my computer and when you use gateway's recovery disks there's no more "Gateway Goback by Adaptec" program. I just want to know, are my last 2 years of pictures gone forever, or is it possible to take the tower to some kind of computer guru to possibly retrieve some of these files? I highly doubt it's something I can do on my own but if you have a solution you think I should try, I'm game... don't have much to lose at this point.

Another case of "a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing" a mantra I'm sure most techies have repeated to themselves many times throughout their career.

Here's the info:
    Gateway Select 950
    AMD Athlon 950 MHz
    128 Ram
    Windows ME

Thanks for any info and Happy Saturday!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Most likely you have lost them sadly, you could take it to a commercial data recovery company but that costs large $$££s and not always sucessful if recovering everything.

You couold try one of these two applications but I wouldnt be suprised if the location of the pics on your HD wasnt already re-written over thus leaving any data corrupted.

PC Inspector File recovery

or its little sister, used for image recovery from media PC Inspector Smart Recovery

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds