Attempting to use retail Windows DVD for OEM restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman863, Jul 15, 2011.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since practically all name brand PCs now place their restore software on the main hard drive, are there any legitimate ways to use a retail (TechNet ISO) version of Windows for a reinstall in the event of a hard drive crash?

Although the "best practice" of creating restore DVDs was covered in http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=239874&highlight=OEM+Windows+Install, I usually end up dealing with clients who have not done this prior to the drive crashing.

Up until a few months ago, using a retail ISO copy of the OEM version licensed to the PC would give an "invalid license" message; however it would usually offer an option to contact Microsoft via phone to input a new activation code sequence. Explaining the issue to the Microsoft via phone usually resulted in a successful re-activation.

On the past few tries of this, however, this option has not popped up.

My questions are:

1. Is there a legitimate way of contacting Microsoft in such a situation to get around this if a valid OEM COA license code exists?

2. If not, is it possible to order master restore discs from a PC manufacturer (such as an Dell OEM copy of XP Home that works on all "D" series notebooks) instead of getting a unique manufacturer restore disc for each model? This would speed up repair time and cut the cost of repairs for the customer.

Finally, I want to emphasize this post is not asking for information on how to "hack" and/or perform any illegal activity. It is only for doing system restores on PCs with a genuine Microsoft COA license code attached to the unit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips.

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Click start, right click Computer, choose properties, scroll down to change product key, this is included with Vista and 7, XP has a small program KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe. you need to run. Must be on line for it to work in any event...change key to the one on the PC's original COA, if you install the same operating system and version as the original...

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

What I have found, is that in repairing pc/laptos, I can use XP with sp1, Xp with sp2, and XP with XP3, same with Vista - by keeping a relevent disc, oem,s usually re- installing has been relatively easy (I found it handy to have Dell, and Hp and Toshiba originals that I acquired over the years ) I have long since retired - and there was some debate on majorgeeks a little while back about the legallity of using anything other than the original disk that came with the computer/laptop, and it swayed from legal to illegal, backwards and forwards.
    At one time Mirosoft had said it was o.k to use the same/identical series disc as came with the machine, then later it appeared to change , but generally it would seem correct , providing that you have the original liscence code to insert- In Window 7 there is even an option to change the key within windows 7.
    So, the only way I can think do this correctly is to make up several different discs, as opportunity allows -But all discs need to be in the same mode as original to be certain that the COA is accepted (sp1, sp2, sp3) as I have found if it is not, then the COA is not accepted.
    As explained previously, by others, here, slipstreaming a version to match original, including service packs, and updates is probably the best way to make 'backups'- but if for more than on machine, then , you need to know which service pack came with each machine, and create recovery discs to match the service pack.it original starts with
    For example a Dell with XP home. or Proffessional needs a disk to suit individually, and service pack as original. A later one that came with service pack 2 (around 2002) would have to have an XP with sp2, as the start disc,Same with one that came with XP sp3 originally before slipstreaming.
    You can save the activation codes with this- from XP to W7
    http://directedge.us/content/abr-beta-with-windows-7-support
    Other than that use the backup suggestions that have been made previously, to back up to dvd for each machine you work on,and keep in yout archive with all programs intact.
    I hope that helps:hyper

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds