Audio device on high definition audio bus problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by LTJessee, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Hey,

My mobo is an abit AX78.
    Audio device on high definition audio bus<<<<has an exclamation mark (!) next to it and I get no sound. It wont let me update driver or anything. Downloaded someting from microsoft and still nothing. Pleaaassseee help, no sound is driving me crazy!!!!

Thanks,
    Jessee
    :major

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

3. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

iv downloaded that b4, it didnt work. It was an update for the audio i downloaded.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

That is the correct driver for your motherboard.
    Uninstall your present driver and load that one.

I still am curious what it was you downloaded from Microsoft.

5. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

I downloaded kb111888 from microsoft.

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I believe that you mean kb888111.
    That is the kb (knowledge base) paper that describes the need for the MS UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) driver that I mentioned in my original reply.
    A complete description is available
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/UAA_Overview.doc
    As it mentions in kb888111 you should "submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451 "
    They should allow you to download the hotfix executable that your system needs.

7. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Ok, thanks heaps, il give it a go

8. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

:cry Didnt work

9. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

The ! has gone but still no sound...

10. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Have you checked your advanced audio properties to be sure nothing is muted?

If the "!" is gone then that means that you driver is properly installed and working.

11. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Everything is not muted, all set to run fine, but no sound. Only thing i can see that is missing is Realtek audio driver, and it wont let me install it.

12. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

What do you mean "it won't let" you install it?
    What exactly happens when you try to install the driver?

13. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

It says "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure!!".

14. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You tried to install the Realtek driver after you successfully installed the UAA hotfix?
    Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

15. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

i think i downloaded the vista hotfix....il try again.

16. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

A friend of mine reminded me to ask you if you had checked your Windows Audio Service to be sure it was running.
    You will find it in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools>Component Services>Services (local).
    The Status should be "Running" and the Startup Type should be set to "Automatic". If it is not, double click on the entry and change the setting to "Automatic"
    He also mentioned that you should check and make sure your audio is "not set to digital".
    I admit that I am unfamiliar with this last. Perhaps someone else here could elaborate on what he meant.

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You should be able to find a box marked "Digital Output Only", if you look in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Advanced Settings, It should NOT be checked.

18. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Cant find that box, ATI HD Rear output is what its tryna play too

19. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I don't see the check box that Musksnipe mentioned either.
    It may only be available for some audio cards and not for others.

The only other thing I can think to tell you is to make sure you have the correct device listed as your "Default Playback".
    Look in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio tab
    and make sure the Default Device is set to your sound card.

20. Spenk009

Spenk009 Private E-2

I have the sameproblem with my laptop. But is kinda my fault cos i deleted the driver by accident and now windows keeps askin me if i want to the driver to it, but it fails. Realtek has the same problem as described below.

21. Spenk009

Spenk009 Private E-2

I fixed it... =)
    All i did was delete The windows update package kb888111 of Software(Ctrl Panel), and reinstall Realtek HD Audio and thats it.

22. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

I did that, still nothing. It has now found 2 Pci devices with ! next to them....No idea what to do now.

23. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Which PCI devices?
    What error messages are you getting when you double click on the "!" ?

24. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

PCI Device is what it is called.
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

25. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Click on the driver tab and post what it says.

26. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Driver Provider: Unknown
    Driver Date: Not Available
    Driver Version: Not Available
    Digital Signer: Not Digitally Signed

Do you have MSN?

Attached Files:

27. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Is your computer Vista or XP?
    If XP, which SP? (SP1, SP2 or SP3)
    I mention this because a number of people are having problems with their Realtek audio if the UAA driver is installed with XP SP2.
    For example:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=160952

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just a quick help:
    Have you installed your motherboard chipset?
    If yes, then those 2 PCI's are probably the MS UAA, not installed properly.
    See if this helps:
    First, uninstall the PCI device (do both) in Device Manager and shut down then re-boot.
    Did that fix the problem?
    Download this file, unpack it into your folder of choice. (Q888111 UAA add-on)
    Go to Control Panel>Device Manager>PCI Device>Update Driver> Choose the folder where you extracted it to, then you have to find the .sys file from the UAA HD Add-on folder and other .sys from Realtek's driver folder and re-boot and it'll automatically activate it.
    The UAA HD Add-on file is here: http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/06/11/81540.aspx Listed as Q888111.

29. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Im running XP SP 3.
    Just downloaded that update musksnipe, it says that the version I am running is newer than that 1....
    When I tried playing a sond in windows media player, it says device might not be function properly, being use by another computer or not installed.

30. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

31. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

Ok, Il give it a go!:)

32. Spenk009

Spenk009 Private E-2

Do you still have Windows KB888111 in software (Ctrl Panel > Software) if you do, then delete it, reboot and try to install the driver again. If this doesnt work it could be due to SP3 (i have 2).

PS: If you bought the PC in the internet, then you should go on the plps website and test out all the audio drivers they have.

33. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

I looked in add remove programs, and I can't see the kb888111 driver, I do see Realtek High Definition Driver though....Il try installing kb888111

34. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

HMMMMMM just read that SP 3 doesnt support high definition audio. How do i rollback SP's?

35. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Where did you read that?

36. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    I've been checking the net and it appears that this may indeed be a problem.
    The latest post I can find from a reputable source is dated January 2008, so it is possible that this problem has been addressed.
    In the meantime I would uninstall SP3 and see if that fixes the problem.
    It should be in your Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

37. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hold off on the uninstall of SP3.
    Thanks to Joelz for PM'ing me, I did some searching myself. I have had a fix, that seems like it was only part of the fix. It's been spread around the 'net and apparently some important bits were left out.
    See if this helps. SET A RESTORE POINT BEFORE EDITING THE REGISTRY!

This patch is required before any of the HD device drivers are installed
    1. On your PC change the CSDVersion registry key to reflect XP SP2:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=200
    2. Restart your PC
    3. Install KB888111xpsp2.exe http://couponmeister.com/blog/HD_Audio/kb888111xpsp2.exe
    4. Change the CSDVersion key back to XP SP3 again:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion value=300
    5. Restart your PC, finalize configuration of your PC, sysprep and capture.
    (Not exactly sure what you must do here)

38. LTJessee

LTJessee Private E-2

THIS WORKS!!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

39. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just a note on this fix:
    LTJessee installed his audio driver, after finishing the install of the KB888111xpsp2.exe. Sound worked after he restarted.
    Then, he reset the registry value back to the original SP3 value.

Congrats on getting your sound back, LTJessee. :celebrate
    [​IMG]

40. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

This is great news, and a new tool in the solving of these pesky HD audio problems.

Congratulations to you both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds