Audio Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wolverine, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Private E-2

Hi all,

I own an ASUS A5E laptop. Yesterday I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 on my system, as it had slowed down quite a bit and was due for an overhaul.

I completed the installation successfully and then went to install the ASUS drivers. I downloaded these from the ASUS website. All of the drivers installed fine except one (version number given here is as per the ASUS support website):

HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP driver for WinXP V7.17.00

This I believe is a modem driver that I require. I know last time when I reinstalled windows I skipped this one cause I thought I didn't need the modem but it turns out that my audio doesn't work without it. So my dad figured that out and installed it on my machine and presto everything worked fine.

Anyway when I try and install this driver now it goes through the whole installation procedure and finishes simply with a "FAILURE" message at the end. There's no error code or any such thing that I can discern.

Anyhow, thinking that it might be because I didn't use the original drivers, I had my brother make a disk image of my original ASUS driver cd which is at home, and send it to me. I extracted the disk image fine and then reinstalled windows again and installed all the drivers from the disk image.

The problem persists though: I can install all of the drivers fine except the modem one.

I then tried different combinations of chronology in which I installed them, to no avail.

Anyway, the list of drivers I installed is as follows (the version numbers are as per what is currently available on the ASUS support website):

Realtek HDAudio driver for WinXP V5.10.0.5136
    INTEL Graphics driver for WinXP V6.14.10.4332
    VGA Patch Driver v1.0
    Realtek LAN for WINXP V5.616.0809.2004
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad driver for WinXP v8.1.5
    INTEL INF Update for WinXP V6.1.0.1008
    RICOH card reader driver for WinXP v2.3
    Universal Audio Architecture bus driver for WinXP KB888111
    INTEL 2915ABG/2200BG Wireless LAN Driver and PROset Application V9.0.2.25
    ASUS ATK0100 UTILITY driver for WinXP V1042.2.15.63

All of these I manage to install succesfully. I should mentioned though that when I try and uninstall the Realtek HDAudio driver I get a message saying that it fails. I don't know if that provides any clues as to why the modem driver is also not working.

Anyway to just give you a list of a few specs for the laptop:
    Intel Pentium M Processor 730
    1024MB RAM
    Intel 915GM Express

I don't know if that helps.

So the bottomline is basically that everything is working fine now, except audio. There's no speaker icon on my taskbar and when I look in Device Manager, it says that no audio device can be found.

Also, there is an exclamation mark next to two items in my Device Manager: one is an Unknown Device and the other PCI.

If there's any other info required please do let me know.

I would really appreciate any help. Kinda stuck now.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Regards,

The Wolverine :D

2. Wolverine

Wolverine Private E-2

Stupid me!

After posting this, I did what I should have done BEFORE: I looked through the rest of the forum to see if there were any solutions lingering about. And yes, I found one. All seems to be hunky-dory now :D

Sorry for the stupidity. Feel free to delete this thread.

Thanks

The Wolverine :D

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Realtek has no support at their site, which is odd considering the number of machines with their drivers.
    There has been a lot of issues with their HD drivers and the UAA driver.
    There are some fixes that evolved here and have worked on some machines, but not all.
    First:
    Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio
    Open up Windows Audio by double clicking
    Make sure it is running, if not, start it.

This seems to work for most folks. It is actually several different ways folks got their driver installed, that I put together as one whole fix.
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)
    You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well.
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)
    KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

6).Install your driver, then re-boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds