Audio Driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skarp, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Skarp

Skarp Private E-2

I am getting a yellow exclamation in the Device Manager:
    Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio - Realtek 880/860

I've got the latest update from Realtek (2.14 dated 1/09/09) but I am hesitant to install it because it might bork my sound (which seems to work fine now). I've had problems in the past on other PCs.
    EDIT: I've just noticed there's a different driver here: Asus-M3A-Realtek-ALC883-Audio-Driver-6015464-WHQL.
    /confused

Ok, so why am I screwing with this? Well the PC case I just bought (Coolermaster CM690) has a front panel IO that I want my headphones to use but it needs the high def audio enabled.

My system: XP SP3
    Mobo ASUS M3A

Could some please walk me through the process?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Skarp

Skarp Private E-2

Update: I took the plunge and updated my BIOS to the latest version.
    Then I grabbed this driver Asus-M3A-Realtek-ALC883-Audio-Driver-6015464-WHQL

However, I am still getting the yellow exclamation in the Device Manager:
    Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio - Realtek 880/860

What to do next?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

First, unplug the power cord from the PC, open the case, and make sure you have the front panel audio I/O connector plugged in to the right header on the motherboard. Then power up, go into the BIOS and make sure the front panel header is enabled and set to "HD Audio" (it might be called "Azalia" for some reason). Boot into Windows and download KB888111; it's the Microsoft HD Audio Update. You can download it from this direct link. DO NOT install it yet. Now follow the steps in this thread to temporarily "trick" SP3 in to thinking that you have SP2, install KB888111, switch back to SP3, and install the audio driver. The steps in the link I've provided are very straightforward and easy to follow. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds