Audio Jack Not Working - It Just Stopped.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Calculatorjockey, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Calculatorjockey

Calculatorjockey Private E-2

I have a Samsung laptop (about 4 years old) which has worked fine. Sound still works fine. About a month ago I noticed that when I plug in headphones the sound would come through both the headphones and the pc speakers (instead of just the headphones like it had been doing for years). Then about a week ago, the headphone jack stopped working altogether. Sound only comes through the pc speakers. Seems like a software thing to me. The jack does not appear damaged in any way. Nothing is jammed in it and it doesn't feel loose.

Here is my Realtek Audio Manager

upload_2016-9-20_11-28-5.png

Here is my device manager

upload_2016-9-20_11-29-1.png

Here is system information

upload_2016-9-20_11-29-43.png

Here is sound information

upload_2016-9-20_11-30-28.png

I have tried uninstalling all of my sound drivers and having them reinstall on a reboot. I tried a number of things I found on the internet. (ie My "little yellow folder" in Realtek Manager is missing. My "show disabled devices" does not reveal anything, etc). I have not dropped the laptop and nothing has spilled in it. I really don't see how anything could have physically damaged the jack (unless it just failed from use)

Please advise. Thanks so much for what you all do. This is a huge help although I know it seems trivial.

2. Calculatorjockey

Calculatorjockey Private E-2

upload_2016-9-20_11-36-28.png

Didn't post my system info correctly. Here it is.

Attached Files:

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I thought I'd be able to help because we have two netbooks running Windows 7.
    Unfortunately both do not show headset in the setup even though the sound comes through the headset when plugged in. I thought the fact that you were not showing headset might be the problem but apparently I was wrong about that. When I plug the headset on, I see the volume to the right of the speaker going up and down and I hear sound through the headset only.

My netbook has realtek but I only have a single port on my netbook for headset and microphone so my setup is not the same as yours.
    Someone posted to click on the file folder at the lower right. I don't have that on my netbook so I don't know what is in that.

All I can offer is a workaround: use a USB connected headset.

I would, at lest, spray canned air into the headset port just on the off chance there is something in ther preventing the headset from registering. (There is a sensing pin and perhaps that is broken).

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Agreed. That's why the speakers are not disconnecting (they stay connected), and the headphones are not connecting.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's not so uncommon for the tip connector of the socket (earth/ground/sensing) to break away eventually, it's a simple replacement socket job for someone who knows how to handle a soldering iron. Alternatively, use an extension cable from the PC so that it's in easy reach, disconnect the speakers, connect the headphones.

Something like this (6-foot but other options there from 1.5 > 10)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds