Audio says it's working but no sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thehen, Sep 15, 2009.

1. thehen

thehen Private E-2

Hi All,

This is the first time a simple search hasn't led me to a solution (it's now been 2 days of searching) so I thought I'd sign up and see if anyone here can help me.

I transported my computer from home to uni, set everything up again and my audio has mysteriously stopped working.

This is what I've tried so far:

• Testing speakers on another computer (they work)
    • Reinstalling the latest Vista drivers for the Realtek HD audio and the AC '97 drivers
    • Removing and reinstalling drivers
    • Removing and reinstalling older versions of the Realtek drivers
    • System restore (to when the sound was working)
    • Enabling and disabling the speakers, SPDIF and HDMI
    • Unplugging and replugging the speakers in the audio ports (windows detects this in the system sound options)
    • Trying different combinations of speaker inputs and audio ports.
    • Plugging my speakers into the audio ports on the front of my case
    • Plugging headphones into any 'front speaker out' port
    • Checking device manger for any conflicts (none)
    • Checked event viewer but I couldn't find any audio related errors
    • Disabling/Re-enabling HD Audio in the BIOS
    • Disabling exclusive mode in the speakers properties

My OS is Vista x64 and my motherboard is an EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW Mainboard. My speakers are Creative Inspire T6100 (though headphones dont work and these speakers work fine on other computers).

What really confuses me is that vista trundles happily on picking up sound in the volume bars and not reporting any conflicts.

Attached are some screenshots for further info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be utterly fantastic!

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Services double check and make sure the Windows Audio Service is Started and it's Startup Type is set to Automatic

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you checked in the Controls to ensure that Mute isn't turned on by accident?

4. thehen

thehen Private E-2

I've checked services in msconfig and 'Windows Audio' and 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' are both enabled. When I also view Windows Task Manager I can see that AudioSvc (Windows Audio) and AudioEndpointBuilder (Windows Audio Endpoint Builder) are both enabled

I've checked everywhere I could imagine for a muted option but can't find one anywhere.

Thanks for the replies guys!

5. DavidGP

Good idea but in vista mute would show as a circle with red line through in the device images above.

Another thought it and it's only a test or diagnosic approach is to open from the Start Search box dxdiag and look inthe audio/sound section for any clues or errors with sound.

6. thehen

thehen Private E-2

Thanks - good idea. Below are screens of DxDiag:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DavidGP

Hi

No issues there sadly! Do me a favour and in your first image Sounds > Playback tab, highlight Speakers then click properties and post a screenshot of that window as well as Configure options sometimes there are multiple audio choices

Also forgot to ask what Service Pack for Vista you using?

8. thehen

thehen Private E-2

Here ya go :):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. thehen

thehen Private E-2

I've just realised that the Realtek HD Audio Manager is picking up the wrong audio ports upon insertion.

The problem is as follows:

orange = isn't picked up
    green = green and black
    black = isn't picked up

I won't post a screen as it seems to get tied up in moderation.

Thanks!

10. thehen

thehen Private E-2

I can't seem to edit my posts or am I missing something?

Anyway I planned to add this to the previous post:

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds