Audio Video Crackle - Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by synergy989, Nov 5, 2009.

1. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

I just posted a thread but can't find it..I am thinking i am doing something wrong but if this becomes a double post ill delete this.

Audio issue, when I listen to music or watch video every 5 minutes or so my computer will crackle and lag for 5-6seconds. Nothing changes in the taskmanger as far as system processes go.

I am using a HP dv7-1038ca laptop with fully updated Windows Vista.

I heard that this was an issue between creative and vista (I am not even sure if I have creative sound devices).

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton guys,
    syn

I have tried to attach what starts up on the PC since a post I found trying to search asked for it.

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, synergy989...

As far as seeing if you've got Creative devices, most of the System Info ( http://majorgeeks.com/downloads9.html ) programs can help - I'm partial to SIW ( http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html ), because it's a stand-alone app...

Also: it's been my experience that Creative almost always creates a folder in your Programs group...

Verify if you've got Creative onboard, and that should give us a better starting point...

3. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

Thankyou for the response Caliban,

I have confirmed I actually do not have creative as a sound card. In my device manager I see:
    -IDT High Definition Audio and
    -NVIDIA HDMI Audio (I assume for my HDMI Out - which also crackles when I use it to watch blurays on my TV)

In the System Info App I had a hard time finding Onboard or Sound devices but found in the PCI option:

Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
    Device 293Eh 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
    Subsystem Vendor 103Ch Hewlett-Packard Company
    Subsystem Device 30F4h
    Command 0006h Memory Access, BusMaster
    Status 0010h Has Capabilities List, Fast Timing
    Revision 03h
    Header Type 00h
    Bus Latency Timer 00h
    Self test 00h Self test not supported
    Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)
    PCI Class 04h Multimedia
    PCI Class Type 40300h Hi-Definition Audio

I could take a video on my phone and upload it but I am not sure the quality and if it would work all that well.

Thanks again for yoru help!

4. Caliban

5. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

Right out of the box it has been a problem. I am just on my way out the door but I will reinstall them for sure when I get back and update. I am running Vista 64bit and no updates have helped or made the problem worse.

Thanks again,
    Syn

6. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

So I installed the new Audio Driver and the crackle is still there for both audio and video.

I also updated the graphics card 9600M GT to see if that could be it and still a video and auido crackle.

Any idea what should be next?

7. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

bump, still can't seem to find the solution online anywhere.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

How are you connecting your speakers to your audio card? Is it 3.5mm, optical, or coax? Also, take note of the task manager and check to see if the audio device is consuming your resources. Are you doing anything else, besides listening to music?

9. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

Hi Thee,

It's a laptop so i couldn't tell you how the speakers are connected but the thing is if I connect speakers or use the HDMI output (which sends sound as well) the problem still presists.

Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the task manager (no spikes or anything of the sort).

It happens with audio or both audio and video (like a movie). With the movie the video lags with the sound...it's like a very mild choppy video lag while the audio sounds like it's crackling.

It does seem like the system is running very sluggish for those 5-7 seconds. I do some more tests with task manager open to check it out.

Thanks again for the help guys, I don't expect this to resolve overnight :)

Syn

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There are 3 different version of your audio driver listed here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3761475#
    click on the word Version and it will show you the three versions.

If it were my laptop, I'd download all three drivers. Start with the newest. Install it, reboot and see what happens. If it still pauses and crackles, install the next driver. Reboot and test. If it doesn't work, try the oldest driver.
    If none work, then it isn't an audio driver problem so we start looking at things like Messenger, Google Toolbar Notifier, Apple Synch. Things that are running in the background that might be checking for updates.

11. Caliban

I Googled the symptoms, and it seems that in many forums the audio/video crackle problem turns out to be motherboard-related...as a last resort, maybe check with HP (or the mobo's manufacturer), see if there's a BIOS update concerning the problem?

12. plodr

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Latest version:

Previous version:

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

F26 sounds interesting:

[quoteEnhancements:[​IMG]Updates the BIOS to prevent the system from being woken from Standby or Hibernate mode using a network device when the notebook is running on battery power and the remaining battery capacity is less than five percent. This update does not affect the notebook when it is connected to AC power.
    Corrects a minor typographical error in the "Notebook Model" label that is displayed in the Setup Utility (F10).
    Fixes an issue where the Intel Protected Audio Video Path (PAVP) feature does not work correctly for HD video playback or when playing Blu-Ray discs. The fix for this issue ensures smooth playback and improved processor performance.
    Fixes an issue where an inaccurate error message is inadvertently displayed when the user performs a "Startup Check" (by pressing the F2 key) during the Power-On Self-Test (POST) for a notebook/laptop with only one hard drive.

[/quote]

15. plodr

Thanks for finding that. I guess I'll have to start reading with both eyes open.;)

16. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

Sorry for being MIA for the last few days as I was out of town. I am extremely thankful for all the help and ideas.

i tried the three drives and unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I am now moving on to the BIOS update and this one looks promising.

I have a questions though, if i download the latest F.2C will it include the F26 updates?

Thanks again,
    Syn

Ill be back in a few hours with the outcome.

17. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

So I updated the BIOS to F.2C and the problem is a pesky one because it's still going.

I watched a movie from file and watched the task manager CPU Chart. It hovers around 17-20% while watching and in the left most box of the two charts everytime the video and audio crackle it spikes...sometimes to 40% and as high as 59% then returns to 20% after 3-4 seconds.

It seems to be happening every 1 minute or so.

I think over the next day or two I am going to run a whole bunch of scans and what not clean this thing up although I don't think that will fix my problem since I noticed it ever since I bought my computer.

Another addition to the problem, the audio crackled on the reboot after flashing my drive when Vista was playing it's startup sound.

Thanks again,
    Syn

18. GENER-AL

GENER-AL Private E-2

i have exactly the same problem only my video lag and crackling audio lasts for more then 5 - 6 seconds, usually 1 - 2 minutes and happens every 5 minutes or so. I have tried pretty much everything i can think of other than updating the BIOS but reading what has been said before about this not working im not sure i should bother doing the flash at all. =/

19. synergy989

synergy989 Private E-2

I think I transfered to a new post as I found the problem was related to the network card. Now it's funny because my cousin has bought the same laptop (american version - I have the canadian) and he has a crackle problem as well but his last's forever until you play with the volume control above the keyboard.

Try this test to see if you had the same problem I did. Turn off your Wireless WiFi on your computer. I have a button for it, you might have to go through My Computer. Then watch a video or basically try to recreate the issue.

Syn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds