auto fax installer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by trailblazur, Jun 11, 2006.

1. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

anyone know how to stop windows from trying to install or setup my fax when i turn on my laptop? evertime i turn it on the windows installer tries to setup my fax. i have an hp officejet, but no land line so i don't even use the fax at all, hmm.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you installed the HP software for the Officejet, it still has to finish the process by installing the FAX portion. Personally, if it bugged me that much, I would let it finish, then forget about it.

3. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

i would love to let it setup itself however it never finishes. it tells me i have to insert the "fax" disc. i don't believe i have a fax disc :eek:

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Try the disc for the printer and see if it will finish. If not, uninstall the HP software, and just let XP find the printer. Also, what model of OfficeJet?

5. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

i tried the disc, but it doesn't automatically start anything. it's the hp officejet 5510. i've had it installed for the last few months, but it just started doing this the past couple days?

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I am wondering if it is Microsoft FAX service, and may of been installed at some point recently. Check to see if it is added in Microsoft Windows Components, under Add/Remove.

7. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

yes it is under add/remove. should i remove it?

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You can UnInstall the service, but as for removing it, that it cannot be done due to a part of Windows. Weird thing is, it probably got installed by the HP auto-installer during the software install for the OfficeJet.

9. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

just unchecked it, thanks a lot! that was driving me crazy :eek:

10. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

well that didn't work either...what in the world would get rid of this thing, windows fax configure :mad:

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check to see if the service 'Fax' is Automatic, and try Disabled to see if the configure stops. Also, run HiJackThis just for grins when the configure pops up, and attach to this thread so I can have a peek to see if it is actually Windows Fax that is causing the problem.

12. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

i disabled the fax service through the add/remove and it's still popping up. i dont have hijack this is it pretty easy to configure?

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

HiJackThis is a program that can be downloaded from here at MajorGeeks, and it goes through and shows the processes that are running in a format that makes it easy to help diagnose things like Malware, and other anoying items such as what you are having. Nice tech tool which can come in handy when you need it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds