Auto update for win xp is giving me win NT?

Discussion in 'Software' started by babeinthewood, Feb 8, 2005.

1. babeinthewood

babeinthewood Private E-2

After reading through http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 and correcting the many problems with my system, I went to down load updates for win xp. I had shut off the updates sometime back when I continually had probelms after each update. Surprize! I turned on the auto update and it started downloading updates for win NT. I shut it off and came right back here! My system is winxp home edition, version 2002, service pack 1. The computer is Gateway Inc, Intel pentium 4 CPU 1500Mhz, 1.5 GHz, 128 MB of RAM The last successful updates from microsoft were 10-15-04 sp1 (kb834707), 10-14-04 (kb840987), 9-25-04 kb836528 and 9-13-04 win xp sp2. I cannot find if i have the msjava patch sp1a. I downloaded the msjava remaoval tool, but not sure if it worked. I'd really hate to mess things up after all the cleaning and repairing. Is there a way to change the autodownload from win NT to Win XP? Should my restore be on or off when i update? Thanks, babinthewood
    p.s. the above link (thread 35407) is the most valuable plethera of info i have ever found! thank you very much.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Windows XP IS windows NT. It's the correct updates. Windows XP is called windows NT5.1. The whole windows XP thing is jus ta marketing thing, it's not the version.

You can't download the wrong updates with windows update, so just let it do its thing and you'll be fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds