Auto Updates with Group Policy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BulletSponge62485, Apr 9, 2009.

1. BulletSponge62485

BulletSponge62485 Private E-2

We have group policy set to automatically download and install updates but it seems to only work when logged in as an administrator. Is there something that we are missing to make in do the same thing for all users, even those who are not administrators?

2. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. BulletSponge62485

This is a domain policy.

4. abz1nthe

Is it possible they are just not receiving the notification so you are unaware that it has been installed?

Check out the gpo "Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications"

5. abz1nthe

Have you thought of utilizing WSUS? I just implemented it into our network and I got to say it saves a lot of time,footwork,and stress keeping track of whether machines are updated or not. You can manage it all from one central console and deploy updates at scheduled times to all your machines on the network.

Just have to make sure your AD structure is fairly sound and all your computers are joined to the domain and listed withen your AD or else you will run into headaches.

6. BulletSponge62485

I think that we will give the WSUS a try. We are not sure if the users are getting the notifications or not, we would like it to automatically download and install without the users knowledge. The way we have noticed this is that every time that we log in to a computer as an administrator the balloon pops up and says that updates are available. Maybe the users just simply are not installing the updates. An automated system is what we are after. Reading into that WSUS, it seems like that might be our best option.

7. abz1nthe

Ya its incredibly useful. If you run into any problems with the installation and implemention lemme know I can help :)

8. BulletSponge62485

Will do! It is also reassuring seeing that you are the IT guy for a school district. We are having these issues at a high school:)

9. abz1nthe

How is your environment setup? Do you guys have your users rdp into terminal servers to get there resources?

10. BulletSponge62485

We have all the students and staff in the AD and then they log onto the domain. For storage or personal documents and things of that nature we have mapped drives for each of the user accounts.

11. abz1nthe

ahh how goes the WSUS setup?

12. BulletSponge62485

Getting ready to sit down and tackle it right now actually.

13. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Think im going to do this too finally. been putting it off for too long...

Do i install it on the DC?

14. BulletSponge62485

I just finished installing it on our server and I must say, following the instructions on the tutorial entitled "Windows Server 2003 Step-by-Step Guide to getting started with Microsoft Windows Server Update Service 3.0".

I have it installed and synchronizing now, I will let you know how it goes when I try and push through these updates. This looks to me though like it is going to be a completely amazing tool to utilize.

15. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

damn do i really need 30gb of free space?

16. BulletSponge62485

I don't think so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds