Automatic Computer Reboot and Other Errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tarkus, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus Private E-2

I'm trying to fix the following problem and I'm looking for ideas.

I am working with a computer that turns itself off and restarts, or shuts itself down, or the screen goes blank and locks up. If IE is being used right before this we usually get "An error has occurred with IEXPLORER.EXE" message. We've spent an hour on the phone with a SOYO technical support person and according to him there is nothing wrong with the MB (SOYO KT-333 LITE) or CPU (1800+ AMD).

The computer is loaded with Microsoft Windows '98 SE with the latest motherboard drivers and the latest critical updates. There are no system conflicts.

It seems that every time the computer restarts we get a "CMOS checksum error" at the end of the BIOS startup. If we then restart the computer everything would look okay but the problem would inevitably occur again.

Sometimes if the computer has been sitting for a while it won't restart at all. The power cord needs to be unplugged and the machine allowed to sit before it will start up again.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could this be the problem?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000237.htm

Or does it sound more like a overheating problem? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Trying to help out a friend here.

Tarkus

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

CMOS checksum error is normal after you clear or reset cmos. If you are not clearing cmos by moving the jumper then the battery could be bad this has the same effect as moving the jumper.

If this is the case then your bios is reset evertime the computer starts and may not be configuared correctly causing the reboots. Try replacing the battery and setting up your bios

Rick

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds