Automatic driver utility software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mistyeyedchick, Apr 4, 2010.

1. mistyeyedchick

mistyeyedchick Private E-2

Hey all. I was wondering if there is a freeware program that would automatically update all of my drivers for a Dell D610 laptop running WIN XP PRO instead of having to individually click and update each component? Also have an HP Latitude running WIN VISTA that I would also like this to work for.

Thanks,
    Misty

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you could use a driver finder app, most are sadly retail paid applications, however I would advise stearing well clear of them, as to be honest, if your PC is working fine then you have no need to update drivers, you will with these automated scanner be running into a minefield, as they cannot ID correctly all the permutations of drivers that are available, OEM PCs like DELL use customised drivers alot and all these driver scanner locate are generic drivers that "may" not work correctly, which is why on this forum we see alot of audio issues as thats one driver not to mess with.

The only driver to update really is graphics but with laptops I would even stear clear of that one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds