Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by NewsFlash, Aug 11, 2005.

1. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

In Control Panel>Automatic Updates, I cannot select any of the 4 options. Nothing will highlight. However, in Control Panel>Security Centre, it says that Automatic Updates is ON. Can anyone help me out here, please and thank you.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Guessing you have XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    Line 179 there is a registry fix for that issue, has worked on a PC for me in the past with same greyed out options in AutoUpdates

also before that make sure AutoUpdates is set to Auto and Running is Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > roboot and try again.

as the main fix is a registry one, some care is needed.. and worthwhile excercise would be to backup all your important data, before applying.

3. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Thanks Halo. I checked AdminTools>Services and AutoUpdates is set to Automatic already.

I also checked out line 179 from KellysKorner but am not sure about what to do. I can find the registry keys she has listed but how do you change the "Dword"? Thanks again.

4. DavidGP

Download to your PC the reg file then right click the downloaded reg file and merge with registry.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or double click the .reg file and click yes. ;)

6. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Thanks Halo and theefool. When I click on line 179 at KellysKorner, it does not download, it just opens a file with all the info in. How do I download line 179? Thanks again.

7. DavidGP

Ah... strange, but two ways right click on the line 179 and the Greyed out Update bit and choose save as.

or I have downloaded it and attached it below in zip file.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  8. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Hey it worked! Thanks Halo. AutoUpdates is NOT greyed-out anymore. This website is wonderful. Don't know what I'd do without it.Cheers!.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds