Autoplay disappeared

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Autoplay has disappeared from my desktop, since starting the Read & Run Me in the Malware forum :(

Windows XP SP2 Dell Dimension 3000 desktop

I have a Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series ( C5280 all in one ) and I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled it in the hope of Autoplay returning to no avail.
    Normally I would insert a camera chip in the built in slot and the Autoplay box would appear.
    The photos set as my desktop have all gone widescreen too :(

Any help appreciated :)

G

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

:( Tried the links' guide, but failed at first hurdle!
    Start-Run - gpedit.msc ......Windows cannot find gpedit.msc :(

G

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sorry, G... Thought I could help on this. I have the same problem in Vista and followed all the steps that should have got it going short of the registry hack. My Camera Autoplay still isn't working.

What I did was just type Autoplay into the help search and it took me to the proper places to turn it back on. Which as I said isn't working. Look for turn Autoplay on or off.
    There is a service which must be running. It is the Shell Hardware Detection. Make sure that is started and set to automatic.
    Type services.msc in the Run box and scroll until you find it. I restarted mine just to reset it and still nothing.

You can import your pictures by right clicking on your media slot icon in My Computer and choosing import.

5. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks M :)
    I have one of these USB reader devices somewhere and will try this to see if i can get the Autoplay up :)
    I have restarted the Shell file, so we will see soon enough!

Update soon

G

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

1. Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + "e" key.
    2. Right-click the desired CD-ROM and or removable disc drive and select Properties from the menu.
    3. Select the AutoPlay tab.
    4. Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.
    5. Select OK.

7. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have adjusted all settings as suggested, CD/DVD but no Autoplay appears on screen :(

When opening C:\ , 'Scanners and Cameras' appears but not Printer! The Reader is on the Printer. I go to Control Panel-Printers and fax and click Properties, but there is no Autoplay button there.

G

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  8. Geek Wanabe

Geek Wanabe Private E-2

Grumbles,
    I had the same problem. My Autoplay was not working. My OS is Vista and I searched and searched. Even Microsoft had all the fancy things to do & nothing worked. I finally took a chance and went into the device manager, clicked on my DVD/CD-Rom drive & under the Drivers tab I clicked uninstall and then re-booted. After I re-booted I put in a CD and it worked. If I learned one thing, after researching this for over a month, it is start with the basics first. Like the first thing Desktop Help asks is "Is the computer plugged in". I hope this works for you like it did me.

Attached Files:

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

10. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Not had the all clear yet :(
    When I do, I will try suggestions though :)

G

11. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Attached Files:

12. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have run cleanhandlers scan as suggested and they found no faults.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  13. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have now moved the problem to Software as it is not Driver related anymore.
    Thanks for all your suggestions/help.
    G

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds