Autorun on DVD/CD Drive not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TangoEcho, Feb 19, 2008.

1. TangoEcho

TangoEcho Private E-2

Due to this issue and some others :) I replaced my drive on Thursday.

AutoRun still does not work although all other issues resolved.

Before replacing the drive I could double click and kick it into gear not the best fix but worked. Now not only does autorun not work but I get odd messages like "please insert main disk not a backup" Huh? That is the main game disk!

Any ideas where I can start to resolve this?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. TangoEcho

TangoEcho Private E-2

Thanks for the link.

Checked each step and all intact in the registry. Auto is not turned off etc.

Hardware is XP Compatable.

Other suggestions?

Can't play me CD's can't play me games :confused

4. Rainman21

Rainman21 Private E-2

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

If you replaced one of the drives, I would double check the jumpers and the position they takeup on the ide ribbon. I've been adding drives for years and I still screw up all the time. A mastered drive goes on the terminal end of the ribbon and a slaved drive in the middle.

6. TangoEcho

TangoEcho Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had already checked the jumpers as a first line of defense as I tend to do that as well:p

What we ended up doing was taking it in to our local "geeks", God love em, and found it was a problem with Windows - surprise, surprise rolleyes

Wiped the drive fresh copy of XP and all is well. Currently in the process of restoring all me junk. :D

Thank goodness I tend to be a bit obsessive compulsive as I have the downloads of my safety software (ie: ccleaner, anti vi, etc) housed in a folder on a separate drive.
    Point, click, install, update! Real time saver.

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds