Av Switchover

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

GOOD MORNING(in Belgium)

i am going to do something today i have never tried before, my subscription to F-Secure has only 9 days left so i am going to uninstall it and install AVG which i have already downloaded and stored the setup in MY DOCUMENTS what i need to ask is can i do this in SAFE MODE/WITH INTERNET or do i have to switch off my Internet connection?

will it be safe to switch it back on after installation for the updates?

thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

No problem, you can install it with or without internet in normal mode. AVG will do an automatic update when it starts or the internet first comes online.

I've never tried to install it insafe mode seems no point.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK studiot i will give it a try

[​IMG]

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

THANKS Studiot for the heads up, i have installed AVG Free and Sygate pro (i have had it for a while but for some reason it was not compatible with F-Secure) and everything is running smoothly.

the startup for my browsers has speeded up 50% it's unbelievable!!!

i will keep an eye open for a day or two but all seems well at this time[​IMG]

just tested E-Mail (OU) thats faster too

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yeah

I let Norton lapse last month and moved to Avast. Am recommending this (or AVG) to most customers at the moment.

But always proper action by the user (who should be in control) is the best security.

Don't surf as an administrator
    Turn off save encrypted page to disk in IE
    Turn off HTML in outlook express
    Set security to refuse to open potential virus attachments in OE
    Don't publish your Email address on the net
    Use separate, net based Email accounts for shopping and contacts you aren't sure of.
    Make sure you tick the 'don't send me advertising stuff' boxes when you access web resources, or install new things from disk.

All these can be easily temporarily reversed for trusted contacts/sites.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I do most of those just HTML but i will do that now.

For E_Mail i use Hotmail for the rubbish and have OE for the things i trust plus my E_Mail address is one that can not be easily found with a generator so it's fairly secure.

i have MAILWASH(free edition) but if i try to use it on Hotmail it tells me that (Hotmail no longer allows email client to access free e mail accounts )so i leave it on OE [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds