Avast and AdAware Won't Start

Discussion in 'Software' started by flagg6805, Dec 11, 2012.

1. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Hi All! I couldn't find any useful information on this topic and finally remembered this website and all the helpful experts on here...

Anyway, my problem is that I just noticed today that avast! IS isn't starting up. Whenever I try to start it I get a message that reads: "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator." Suspiciously, I also get that message when trying to start Ad-Aware.

I'm currently running the most recent versions of both programs on Windows 7 Pro w/ Service Pack 1.

Does anyone know how I can even begin to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advanced!

-Ricardo

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, flagg6805, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

I strongly suggest that you perform all of the steps listed in the Read & Run Me First thread, then start a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum and attach the requested logs to your first post(s) in that thread.

3. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Thanks, will do!

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Ad-Aware also contain an antivirus too ??

5. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Yes it does.

6. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Thanks, I did and my computer is clean. So this is a software issue, I guess. So the question is, what is causing this to happen, if not a virus?

-Rick

7. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

If you are still wanting to uninstall Avast!, try the following:

[​IMG] Please download and run Avast! Uninstall Utility
    This utility must be run from Safe Mode.

8. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

I don't want to uninstall it unless i absolutely have to. I paid for the upgrade to avast internet security and don't know what I did with the registration code

9. Caliban

Agreed with thisisu: an uninstall/reinstall of avast! might very well be in order, especially if the avast! and Ad-Aware programs are the only two apps that are seeing the permissions problems. That, or uninstall both programs and try another antivirus app to test - there are several good freebies from which to choose.

*As an aside: I think it's pretty much the consensus around here that Ad-Aware is a vastly outdated concept. There are much better antispyware solutions available - in fact, avast! itself now contains an antispyware component.

10. Caliban

Sorry - didn't see your last post. You should be able to contact avast.com and request a copy of your registration information.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

12. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

Do you have Avast Internet Security (paid)? If so I would strongly suggest to remove Ad-Aware first and see if that helps? If you have in (free) Spybot that Teatimer, be sure to disable that first prior to uninstalling Ad-Aware.

PS: It's been years that I used Ad-Aware and therefore not sure of current version.

14. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

It's Ad-Aware 10, and it contains full features, anti virus, antispyware, sandbox, Real-time protection, game mode, I believe oma is correct, there may be a compflict between the two.

15. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Thanks to everyone for your input. I was away this weekend and couldn't reply so....

I uninstalled Ad-Aware (I was only running avast! at once, just had ad-aware as backup) but when I go to uninstall avast! I get a message that reads: You do not have sufficient access to uninstall avast! Internet Security. Contact sys admin. Thing is I'm logged in as an admin. So how do I get avast to uninstall then is the question?....

Thanks Caliban, I had thought about that and will if I decide to keep avast! and get it working again!

-rick

16. Caliban

Good morning...

To verify: you are attempting to uninstall avast! using the Avast Uninstall Utility while the machine is booted into an Administrator Safe Mode account?

17. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Ah, no, but I will try that now...

18. Caliban

Yes, please try the Safe Mode route.

Be advised that you should load some type of antivirus protection before reconnecting to the internet.

19. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Ok, so I was able to uninstall avast! IS from my computer using safe mode. I then redownloaded the program and when I try to install it, I get the same message as I did originally.

20. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Just an update... When I tried reinstalling avast! I got an error message saying that the following were blocked by group policy:

aswRegSvr.exe
    aswRegSvr64.exe

Two separate messages, one for each. Any idea what's going on here?

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

22. flagg6805

flagg6805 Private E-2

Ok so... I ran cCleaner and it found a bunch of avast! registry entries that I had it fixed. Then I used AppRemover to uninstall Ad-Aware. Re-ran cCleaner to get rid of Ad-Aware left over registry keys. Rebooted machine. Still have same problem. :(

23. Caliban

Since this appears to be a permissions issue, is there any way you can add exceptions for 'aswRegSvr.exe' and 'aswRegSvr64.exe' in the Group Policy editor? I have no idea if that will work - just askin'...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds