Avast anti-virus blocking e-mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by LaurieO, Aug 16, 2010.

1. LaurieO

LaurieO Private E-2

Hi,

I think Avast did an automatic update today and since then I've had trouble with emails.

I've found I can get the email to work by going to Settings>Troubleshooting>Redirect settings and taking out the port numbers for POP and SMTP under the Mail section - just leaving it blank, but is this OK? Am I leaving myself unprotected?

I think it is something to do with the anti-virus not being able to read SSL encryption, but in my email client (Thunderbird) I've got never use SSL selected...

Thank you

2. LaurieO

LaurieO Private E-2

Nobody got any words of wisdom on this?:confused

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, LaurieO...

Apparently, there's something going on with avast! and Thunderbird shaking hands - I've seen several recent posts in other forums about the problems...for example:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60497.0...

I'd guess that with the spate of complaints, there'll probably be an update/fix soon...

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hi, I don't use Thunderbird. Agree with Caliban. The issues are all over the web! Alternatively you can disable Avast's "Mail Shield". No need to scan out going any ways and as for incoming attachments the moment you access- Avast will scan the file any way.
    Cheers..

5. LaurieO

LaurieO Private E-2

Hello and thank you both,

The problem seems to have resolved itself.

Avast auto updates so perhaps it put the fix in, although I didn't notice anything. I put it back to the original settings as I was going to try something else and it just worked. Other people have found that the problem just fixes itself. Computers, eh?:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds