Avast Context Menu Entries.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Why are there 2 differently named Avast context menu items pointing to the same file? This only shows in CCleaner, not the actual right-click menu.
    Everytime I delete the 00Avast entry, it returns.
    Avast.jpg

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I found that sometimes after installing Avast program updates, some old stuff gets left behind or is not properly updated.

The solution for my case was to first backup all of the settings, uninstall Avast (I used Revo), then run avastclear.exe and do a fresh install. Import the settings backup and everything was cool.

3. Eldon

This is way to much to do just to get rid of a context menu entry when I can just delete it.
    I am just curious why it shows in CCleaner when in the actual context menu, there's just 1 entry - which is the way it should be.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I was just thinking that it could be an indication that other things are amiss.
    I don't mind spending five minutes to fix something if I know that everything will be right when I'm done.
    I can be obsessive-compulsive about things like that. :rolleyes:
    Avast was just recently updated, and I'm guessing that you installed the update.
    If this thing just appeared? well then .....

5. Eldon

You're not alone. :D
    It seems to happen everytime I update Avast, which I just did, and it's back.
    So now I'm going to delete the avast entry, instead of the 00avast entry and see what happens.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've been searching on this and even did some searching on the Avast forums.
    Unfortunately it appears a lot of times when people are asked to provide logs which doesn't tell us anything about what that entry does.

I think it has something to do with right click menu and I found this
    Source: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72025.15

I couldn't find anything more helpful, sorry.

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

When using the CCleaner tool for Startup, the only Avast entry I have is for
    Code:
    HKLM:Run  AvastUI.exe  "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
    Autoruns shows several entries under different keys for avast and 00avast.
    Some point to c:\program files\avast software\avast\ashshell.dll
    Some point to c:\program files\avast software\avast\ashsha64.dll

avast-shell-extension-duplicates_01.jpg

@plodr
    love that new avatar ... so cool !

8. Eldon

Look at Tools > Startup > Context Menu.
    Thanks plodr.
    It seems that second context menu item is for Sandboxing.
    Interestingly, irregardless of which entry I remove, I still have the context menu either.
    Removing both, I have no entry. I'll just ignore this minor issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds