Avast & Defender Together?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Sep 17, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

In my Perpetual Pursuit for "perfection" (haha...well, a "balance" of Performance & Protection anyway), I have decided (today) to try running Avast 5 (Free) with Windows Defender - simultaneously (both Real-Team).

Here's my question:

Considering Avast's write-up (here, on MG's), --> "All-inclusive and comprehensive protection FREE avast! antivirus Home Edition includes ANTI-SPYWARE virusprotection, certified by the West Coast Labs Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT detection based on the best-in class GMER technology. No additional purchase is required.

Simple to use and automated Daily automatic updates ensure continuous data protection against all types of malware and spyware. Simply install and forget. We've made avast! as simple to use as possible.

Tried and Trusted With over 80 million users of avast!, you can rest assured that you are using one of the most tried and trusted products in Windows security.

Multilingual avast! Home Edition is offered in over 30 language versions.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

I'm wondering if there might be conflicts in the Antispyware element of Avast, with Defender - and/or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance...

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Currently running avast! 5.0.677 and Defender client version 6.1.7600 together, no problems at all, either way.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

+1 same as Caliban for me Glenn.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm also running Avast and Defender together on a 64-bit 7 system, with no issues.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks to all - looks like I'm in very good company with this, however, the replies lead me to another question:

How could my "Version number 1.1.1600.0" (attached) be so different from those mentioned by you folks, please?

I think I am up to date...?

Attached Files:

6. Caliban

Nope: look at the copyright dates. :(

Attached Files:

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

What does this mean please???

I JUST NOW "Updated" (before I posted) and it tells me "No Updates Available".

Attached Files:

8. Caliban

I would imagine it would depend upon operating system versions: I'm running Win 7 Home Premium - you?

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks - I'm running Vista Home on this machine ...... so you think my update status is as it should be, please?

10. Caliban

Yes, you should be good to go - I just checked a Vista machine, and it's got the same info as yours. ;)

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Beautiful - thank you very much ! ;):major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds