avast question

Discussion in 'Software' started by sosaman, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

ok, i've used avast for years, however i've noticed something a few mos back (it could be the same with other anti-virus programs, just have never noticed.

last night, i was running an anti-spyware scan, and avast caught this (screenshot below). as mentioned, i've noticed this in the past. could it be that this stuff is dormant, and when a scanner runs across it then avast flags it?

excuse my terminology, but this is how i think of it. think of it as a road (avast hasn't noticed anything yet), and when my scanner (i was scanning with a-squarded free), is going down the road scanning, it runs over that file (like a speed bump), and it does something that makes avast flag it? does this sound about right?

when i've noticed this (most occasions), the scanner just happened to be in the folder (or near it), as what avast flagged. it's not a problem to me, i'm just curious. - thx, sos

Attached Files:

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

kes, i wasn't asking how to get rid of it (it's in my quarantine). i'm asking how it gets triggered (am i correct on my thinking), so that avast flags it. - sos

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

thx, studiot. but, that's still not what i'm asking.

in normal mode, avast is on, i don't have it scanning, but it's running in the background. obviously it didn't catch that (screenshot below) before. as i mentioned, is it getting flagged, because the other scanner ran across it (in other words, is it dormant, or not doing anything, untill the scanner hit's it, and avast says look what i found - so to speak)? - sos

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes sort of at times as your Avast is always scanning files used in the background, so when you run an application or move a file, the AV will scan them, this is also true when you run a on demand malware scan all the files of your PC being scanned will be flagged up as *not being open* but active! for that split secound so if Avast or other AV thinks that this file has a signature like malware it will give you that alert.

Sadly some of these can be false positives, but always worth checking the validity of the file found.

6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

thx, i normally do my scans in safe mode, that's why i don't really see that much (as avast isn't started in safe mode - at least i don't think). anyway, i didn't want to reboot, so i ran that scan in normal mode. i have no problems with false positives (as long as it's not too many), if i'm not sure i just quarantine. - sos

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

But remember that actions resets your Restore space back to 12% of your hard drive, if you had it set smaller. I usually only use 1-2% and after I delete all old restore points, there it is back to 12%. Dontcha just love MS. :-D

Bazza

===

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds