Avast Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by mystic97, Oct 30, 2010.

1. mystic97

mystic97 Private E-2

Sorry if this is not the correct spot to post this. Ive got questions about Avast

My cousin is still on Win ME, and has Avast 4.8 home edition, she can no longer update the definitions or program, so I suggested downloading this from majorgeeks

avast! Virus Definitions - [2010-10-25 | Freeware | 28.8 MB | Win All | 193129 | 4.79 ]
    Manually update your Avast anti-virus versions.

Once downloaded she clicked it, and it then told her to update her windows. So I guess technically its not for All Win :(

She found ClamWin, but she doesnt like it, and it takes forever and a day to scan her computer.

So I have the following questions. She is very novice when it comes to computers, so shes looking for easy.

1. Is there a way to get into the definitions some other way?
    2. Is there something easier and better for the WinME?
    3. She also says Avast takes forever to finally load into the task bar, my question is does it have to load into the task bar to work properly?

Until she can find something better to meet her needs, is it possible to tweek anything to make it work for now?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am afraid she is very limited with what she can do regarding anti-virus software. ClamWin is about all that will work still. Most companies have stopped giving any support for WinME. It was one of the worst platform that MS ever put out. But then again, none of the malware writers are bothering with Win Me either!

3. mystic97

mystic97 Private E-2

yeah I was afraid of that, thank you very much for your time :)

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, mystic97.

Actually, from what I understand, avast! 4.8 works very well with Windows ME. The manual update you pointed to lists the virus definitions update for avast! 5.0.677, but if you scroll down on that page, you'll see a link for the avast! 4.0 definitions update.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Danger with Clam. I just read a post by a MSMVP for Security who said that one of Clam's recent definition updates tagged lots of Window system files as infected; this caused quite a few unbootable computers.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

For the avast 4.8 VPS definitions update you might try the avast Download Updates page. It's an approximate 35MB download.

Both avast 4.8 and avast 5.0 need to be re-registered once a year, has that been done? If not, they will stop updating, so, this avast registration page might be useful.

I was under the impression that support for avast 4.8 home(free version) had been dropped but that avast 4.8 Pro(paid version) support still continues. The registration page however, would seem to indicate that a license key for avast 4.8 home can still be obtained.

EDIT:

Oops, somehow missed the link Caliban gave and the one on the download page for the avast update.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  8. mystic97

mystic97 Private E-2

Thank you ALL so so much for all your information(s) :) Ive never had winme so Im not much help to her when shes asking me questions

Caliban thank you for the link, I will just pass that along to her

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

No problem, and thanks for the feedback. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds