Avast scan results help

Discussion in 'Software' started by AndricVes, Apr 13, 2010.

1. AndricVes

AndricVes Private E-2

I completed a "thorough" Avast scan and rec'd a results report with 579 un-scanable files. This is the first time I have encountered this result/problem Most of the 579 file names seem to be a repetition of two: C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/.../sbRecovery.reg and ...All Users/.../sbRecovery.ini all followed by--Unable to scan Archive is password protected--OR a different file and result are: C;/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/.../ibdata'l Unable to scan The file is a decompression bomb.

Any fixes, ideas of clues anyone can share? Would appreciate any feedback. FYI, I think, possibly, this is more about viruses than malware

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you let us know what Windows version and what version of Avast you are using?

Also the full path to the files you listed above only as dont need to see all 579 will be helpful as I have a suspicion that if you are using Spybot Search and Destory, is that those are its archived files and quarantined. If you have Spybot S&D installed then if you purge its quarantine folder then those will disapear, recovery icon and tick the ones you wish to remove, but as they are in quarantine they do no harm and are worth keeping aroudn for a week or so just to make sure your PC is working ok before purging them

The mention of "The file is a decompression bomb" maybe a false positive as Avast cannot accurately like many other AVs scan a compressed file that will decompress a large set of files in one go, it floods the scan, but would again need to see the full path the the found file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds