avast! "Unable to Scan" items?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Feb 9, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Please forgive, I'm learning (at least "trying" to) - my understanding is that these are "Registry Entries/Items (?) - *please see attached -

How might I proceed with these "Unable to Scan" items, please?

Oh, there are "375" of them - is that a lot??

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Without the full path of the file I cannot give you 100% answer but just guessing on how some areas of Windows are locked then its possible those are system restore points or recycler files or just locked system files, try posting an image of the path expanded or just copy and paste one of the files listed path.

You can get around this by scheduling a boot time scan* or scan in Safe Mode, BUT I would be tempted to uninstall Avast 4.8 and install latest Avast 5.x (most having issues with Avast 5.x are in XP, not come across any issues in Vista or Win7 yet personally, likely there will be some but those users need to start there own thread, as it may have been linked to an earlier version so try current)

I tend to only do a custom install of Avast or any AV if possible as dont need all the scanners/shields, and in Avast I only install File, Web, Network and now the Behaviour shields (behaviour one as its a huristic approach to stopping malware)

*do note in Avast 5, never noticed this in 4.8 that boot time scan is only available for 32bit Windows 7 and not 64bit

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds