Avast v Threatfire (PCTools)

Discussion in 'Software' started by smartiepants, Aug 27, 2008.

1. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Hi there,

I downloaded PCtools free Firewall Plus and it came with Threatfire.
    I also happen to have Avast. It has now been pointed out to me that Threatfire & Avast are both Anti-Virus programs and might be interfering with one another.

Does anyone have advice/opinions on which is better? My feeling is to go with Avast but am not sure if I'm discrediting Threatfire as it may not be functioning correctly.

Appreciate any advice from someone with experience with either of these programs.
    :major

2. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Ok, thanks for that MT,
    So do you think there is any reason why I should not run them both?
    I was not sure if they are interfering with each other or if something else is happening.
    :major

3. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Ok then MT.. I will go and have another look at that. It is so hard with so much to learn and so little time. I am at work most of the time and it is my home PC that is giving me grief.
    Thanks for all your help.
    :)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

MT is correct for the most part about ThreatFire. It does not offer traditional protection like Avast or AVG or AntiVir as ThreatFire does not rely on a signature database for virus recognition; it looks for behavior cues and actions that are generally performed primarily by viruses/malware. ThreatFire does have an on-demand virus scanner built-in (PCTools' Anti-Virus), but it does not interfere with standard antivirus apps. More details can be found at the ThreatFire home page.

5. perry_mason_geek

perry_mason_geek Private E-2

Threatfire might not be regarded by everyone as an AntiVirus program, yet AVG will not install if you have Threatfire - error message says AntiVirus program already running.
    Also System Mechanic reports Threatfire running as AntiVirus.
    The problem is that, once you install Threatfire, you cannot seem to be able to remove it.
    Regedit will not remove the registry entries, and AVG will not install while these entries are in place. My advice is: Do not install Threatfire until this uninstall problem has been solved!

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is a removal tool for threatfire
    Code:
    http://www.threatfire.com/files/RemoveThreatFire(3.0).zip
    Quite a few security programs are very hard to remove so if you search, you can usually find a removal tool somewhere on the interent.

7. horry

horry Private E-2

The main reason I use Threatfire is the timely updates of malware. I get several each day. this is better than the other Anti ***.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds