Avast Vs Eset

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by butterfly1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. butterfly1

butterfly1 Private E-2

Which program do you recommend as better. I purchased avast premium but may have deleted something (later for that issue) but I have eset premium on my Android ( thanks to this forum) . I am thinking of just removing avast and buying the eset for my laptop.. / don't like all the ads and not knowing everything avast is doing (my lack of experience ) I also have malwarebtres premium as security.
    Thanks.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Any opinion about most security programs is subjective. Because the way they are configured and managed is often different in each program, that becomes the main user choice. You test, then you choose.
    Some use more system resources than others, have more 'bells and whistles' than others.
    There is actually no need to buy any 'premium' programs since the paid-for features are nothing to do with the main protection but supplemental to that. Most users don't need the paid for features and they do not make the program more effective for security.
    Reading sites like this: https://www.av-comparatives.org/
    give you a guide to independent testing.
    Malwarebytes - premium or free - is not a standard real-time AV program so will not conflict with an AV program.
    The choice should be down to you about how you experience the use of each program, so trying them first in their free mode is best.
    Surfing and email behaviour is at least as critical to your system security as any software.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

All what ads? All you need to do is configure Avast correctly for your usage.

Mimsy likes this.
  5. butterfly1

butterfly1 Private E-2

Thank you Max, Eldon, and satrow.
    You have certainly given me information to check out, and I will!
    I was very suprised by Max' s information about not necessarily needing the premium programs.
    Much appreciated! I just m

6. butterfly1

butterfly1 Private E-2

Opps, sorry.
    Anyway . Thanks,

7. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

OK! Since I don't know much, I have a lot to say. Stay from ESET! My ESET was actually hacked. Within two hours after an automatic
    update of ESET, a number of files completely dissapeared from my computer. Less seriously, the trash bin became full of files and folders that
    I hadn't touched in years (at least I was able to restore these). ESET was obviously hacked because its user interface and behavior immediately
    went from perfect to horrible. Scans started without clicking buttons and went way to fast. Scans couldn't be cancelled/paused. Some buttons couldn't
    be clicked. One page was blurred for some strange reason. I spent $150.00 at Best Buy to fix things up. Best Buy also traced another customer's
    different but just as strange problems to ESET.

ESET only on extremely rare occasions warned me against possible malicious websites. McAffe is more aggressive in this regards, while
    Malewarebytes and Norton are extremely aggressive.

Check out http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp. Avast and ESET don't make the top list. For an non expert,
    reviews are infuriating, but from what little I could gather, from last years reviews, Norton and Bitdefender were best with Norton
    just barely edging out Bitdefender. Norton is no longer a drain on computer resources and is back on top.

8. butterfly1

butterfly1 Private E-2

Mark thank you for sending me feedback. I also am new at much of this, and appreciate this forum to be able to hear from others. I did look at the link.
    I will say for my android phone I have eset and malwares, and I do like the eset on the phone so far, and easy to get help. But have not tried to switch over my laptop.
    For my laptop I will take into account your comment and experience.
    Thanks for taking time to relpy.
    For now I have to go and do rehab exercises, I had knee surgery last week! I just saw your relpy on my my nook while eating dinner.
    Grateful!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds