avast! won't update

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I cannot get avast! to update on my computer. The problem only appeared today. I have not (1) added any new hardware to my computer, (2) installed new software on my computer, and (3) changed any of the computer's settings.

I noticed the problem because avast! is always updating automatically. A dialogue box appears to tell you and a very annoying woman's voice tells you that you're updated. Today the dialogue box was reddish rather than green and it said it couldn't update. I didn't manage to get the message. At least, the annoying woman didn't sneer about the fact I could not update.

I have tried manually updating and I receive the following message:
    Am I correct that it is not connecting with avast's server? I've checked their web site and it's up and running.

If you need to know to be able to help me - my computer is an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop, which runs using Windows Vista HP SP2, and my avast! is avast! Free Antivirus v. 7.0.1474

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

As reported in that thread the problem is resolved.

Done! I usually just had the sound turned down on the comp.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Maybe so, but as of 1730 hrs. EST I'm still getting the update error message. The fix will probably take a while to filter down to all avast! users.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds