AVG 8.5 Resident Shield Using up 50%+ of CPU usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thy_Armageddon, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Thy_Armageddon

Thy_Armageddon Private E-2

Usually the resident shield is fine and hardly ever uses any CPU but this past week, on and off it has been using over 50% of it, and now it's starting to cripple me from doing things I can normally do. Any explanations as to why it would just suddenly want all this CPU space?

2. Thy_Armageddon

Ok, so I found out the reason to this problem. Recently, I downloaded an update for my main anti-spyware which is now "Webroot Anti-virus with Anti-spyware" And apparently Webroot and AVGs resident shields are clashing with each other, if I shutdown Webroot, my CPU goes back to normal, however with Webroot on, AVG and Webroot start overusing CPU space for some reason. So my question is, should I uninstall Webroot, and if so, should I just keep AVG as a solo program or find another program to go with AVG?

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Only:

One good firewall with realtime functions
    One good anti-virus program with realtime functions
    One good anti-spyware program with realtime functions

Extra scanners: free SAS & free MBAM

Now since Webroot takes care of both the anti-virus and the anti-spyware function you don't need anymore. Webroot is not good but it's better than AVG so AVG should go. AVG's realtime functions are not worth mentioning.

I assume it's the free AVG we're talking about?

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

You should NEVER use Two Av's on a system - as they will conflict massively.
    Which to remove is your call.
    AVG v8.5 is a well recommended AntiVirus & AntiSpyware over here on MGs.
    Cheers..

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Ha! :-D No, really - that's because AVG ranks 3d among freeware AV. And Webroot is not freeware. It's a bit better. Not by much.

6. Thy_Armageddon

No this is AVG Internet Security, I needed a better default Antivirus in the middle of these subscriptions back in late 2008 because I was using Trend Micro, which was just a bad idea in my opinion. So I bought AVG and Webroot had already renewed it's subscription so I kept it on, it hasn't caused any real problems until lately. I think I'll stick with AVG 8.5 for now, I hope there's a significant difference between AVG free and AVG Internet Security 8.5

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hmm. I wish AV comparatives or Virus Bulletin 100 included Webroot in testing ;)

Cheers :wave

9. Thy_Armageddon

I'll have a look at it when my subscription runs out on AVG, I really don't think I need the best of virus protection, this computer was pretty protected early on using some tutorials on Tech Support Guy, and besides myself having a decent amount of common sense, I only go on the computer for messenging, gaming, and to check up on news and entertainment of safe interest.

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Webroot were doing so well in 2006 but they didn't keep up...

11. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Yes, do that. Use the free trial period and see what you think. The premium suite is so highly praised. :cool

12. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

The last time I checked the freeware tests around the internet the free Avira was first. Then came Avast! Then AVG. Avira (Premium) seems to be number one in pro versions as well.

13. fulltime

fulltime Private E-2

i am having same problem with AVG 2011 & i think i found a way to solve this problem....!

goto Resident Sheild double click to open it

you will see some options

Make sure that (scan for tracking cookies) option is unchecked...!

try it & reply if it works...!

14. fulltime

fulltime Private E-2

i am having same problem with AVG 2011 & i think i found a way to solve this problem....!

goto Resident Sheild double click to open it

you will see some options

Make sure that (scan for tracking cookies) option is unchecked...!

try it & reply if it works...!

15. thank you fulltime

thank you fulltime Private E-2

2013 and this problem still occurs , i thought it was a serious problem with my system . Id just like to add a few tags since i was unable to find the problem it thought it was.~

Intel Turbo Boost technolgy montior is stuck at 2.9 out of nowhere..
    Intel Turbo Boost montior has spiked at 3.0 as soon as i turn on my pc.
    Intel Turbo Boost monitor is constantly running hot , HELP !

PEACE GEEKS

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Remove AVG and replace it with any one of the 5 recommended here under Antivirus
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

I scraped AVG off the computers years ago. I replaced it with AntiVir. Eventually that started slowing down the pcs when it updated so I wiped that off and settled on MS Security Essentials. (I know MS SE can slow some pcs down but it hasn't affected any of ours).

To cleanly remove AVG, use this http://www.majorgeeks.com/AppRemover_d6090.html
    Also if AVG has a cleanup tool, run that too before you install something else.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds