AVG and Avast problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Could use some help for a friend. He recently signed up with a wireless connection, from dial-up. Highspeed unavailable in his area.

Here's a copy and paste of his e-mail to me. He's had wireless for about a day now.

got into some problems. Internet explorer wasn't coming on board. Not sure if AVG was giving some glitches.
    Went and restored back a day or two. Uninstalled AVG. then the old Avast popped up, but only partially. Tried to get rid of Avast - it won't go away.
    Downloaded CCleaner again, still won't get rid of Avast.

I get this message: Avast, a setiface error has occurred 536870929. Try to re-install or contact support, please....

So I re-installed the whole thing, but it won't download, this message comes up; ALWIL Software Setup Engine has stopped working.
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

So now I can't get Avast working, and with that on my security, don't want to install AVG over top of it.

Everything else is still working but no antivirus installed?

Would you be able to help shed some light on this?
    He's running Vista.
    Thank you.

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

E-mail from my friend.....

"I still can't go to the internet explorer browser yet. Don't know why switching to wireless would effect that.

I'm thinking that I will cancel the wireless and stick with the accelerated dial up. Getting only 200 to 400 kbps for highspeed"

4. born2golf

born2golf Private E-2

I went to safe mode and completed the task and still can't remove Avast and the error code. Now what?

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Are you the friend Oooops! is posting on behalf of? If not, please start a new thread giving details of the issues you are experiencing and what you have tried to resolve it so far.

Tagging on to another member's thread can cause confusion so we prefer a new post for each member :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds