avg anti-virus 8.0 won't load Please help

Discussion in 'Software' started by leelee, Oct 12, 2008.

1. leelee

leelee Private E-2

i had the free avg 6.0 then got norton but i did not like it so i uninstalled both of them and bought avg anti-virus 8.0 3days ago. I have been trying to download all this time. I can't get it to work and there is not anyone at avg that will help me. Could some one please help me here. thanks lee lee :cry

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Perhaps you still have some Symantec (Norton) remnants left and therefore can't install AVG 8? Here's a link that will guide you how to uninstall Norton and download the uninstaller. After the install of the uninstaller, run it and reboot. Sometimes the uninstall has to be run twice. After all remnants of Norton have gone, do a fresh install of AVG and see if that works.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

You also may want to download CCleaner and clean up Windows and the Registry. Do a backup of the registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Hope it helps.

3. Blades

Blades Sergeant Major (Ret)

Go to AVG free forum and register..they are users NOT avg THEY can help you.
    Blades:major

4. Blades

Blades Sergeant Major (Ret)

True but the geeks there as here will still be able to help some...it never hurts to ask..
    Blades:major

5. leelee

leelee Private E-2

Thanks for trying to help me, I found a number for avg but they wanted 19.00 a hour to help me over the phone. I could not believe it. So i am still working at it. I wish now i would have stayed with norton. IF any one can think of any thing else, I'll try it.
    thanks lee

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

7. leelee

leelee Private E-2

Mark.

I did run remove norton twice like i was told to do. I also tried contacting the help center. they did respond but not what was needed. I did get a extra email this morning from them, Guess what? there is some files missing in the program, "bat files" they have to send you files to reset avg software or something like that then download the bat file.
    it still don't work. They are still trying to fix that. So i took it back to wal-mart and they did give me a gift card . i was surprised but come to find out i was not the only one i guess. I would have posted back sooner but I had to go to work. I want to thank you guys for all your post, if I could not have read on what to do to protect my computer, it would have been infected by now. If you all want the name of all the files AVG sent me to repair there soft ware I will gladly post them.
    thanks lee

8. leelee

leelee Private E-2

Oma also suggested (to ensure you had removed all of the old AVG) to run CCleaner 'cleaner' and then run its 'Registry > Scan for Issues' and - having made the back up it recommends - clean out all found entries. You should *always* run a second Registry Scan after this to remove any further 'orphaned' entries found.

I did this to, thanks Oma.

lee

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds