AVG Firewall - Does it Conflict with Sygate?

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottportraits, Aug 16, 2008.

1. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Aug 16, 2008

Hi again,

I have subscription AVG anti-virus. I also use Sygate firewall, and have the XP Firewall turned 'off'.

One of the last AVG automatic updates has activated an AVG firewall....I think. As I go to various sites, or attempt to update Spybot or Lavasoft, AVG sends up a new firewall-like screen asking for permission. It is very much like the ones Sygate or ZoneAlarm have....asks to accept or deny, and if you want to have it 'remember' this choice forever after.

I launch AVG control panel and look for any kind of options or dialog about it, but find none. There should be no firewall with my AVG A/V subscription.
    Will it conflict with Sygate?

So how can I turn this off, or do I not want to do that ??

- scottportraits

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Hi Kitty,

It's AVG version 8, the latest. I went to Tools > Advanced, and unchecked the first two (of three) boxes, dealing with link scanner. I actually don't mind the pop-ups, I just wondered if it conflicted with Sygate's firewall. The pop-ups resemble firewall dialogs about new sites, etc.

Maybe It's good to have this scanner 'on'. Perhaps I should go back and re-check those boxes and just live with the pop-ups for now......

Thanks for the link.

-scottportraits

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

If not bothering you, yes you can turn it back on. Good especially if you have wild clickers using PC. (I'm a reformed wild clicker)

Also there's a lot of useful info here about AVG 8 and it's good to know a little about your security programs.

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1094#faq_1094

p.s. I prefer Cat ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds