AVG removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by Den, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Den

Den Private First Class

Just repaired xp pro and now my avg does not recognize my license number and will not run. Since I have the free ver. it makes no sense. It will not uninstall using add remove programs utility. I tried to reinstall over and it will not I tried repair modify with same result. ccleaner will not remove it with the tools uninstall either. My question is will ccleaner remove it from the registry or do I go digging in the reg.?
    Thanks for any help.
    Den

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=886

2. Run the AVG Free install file
    3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
    4. Restart your computer then...
    5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

If you tried this already then you can remove all files and services manually.

3. Den

Den Private First Class

Thanks BirdBath but I already tried that with same result. Guess it's time to dig.

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

AVG leaves alot of folders. Before you go into the Reg. Unhide all files and folders and remove from App data in documents and settings also.

I had to remove the services also. In admin tools > services the AVG E-mail scanner and protection services.

Also remove from start up folders.

Please Check to see if these exist,

Navigate to C:\Program Files\and highlight the folder named Grisoft and remove

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and highlight the folder's named Grisoft, and AVG7 and remove you may find that there is only one folder and not two.

5. Den

Den Private First Class

I did as suggested then run regedit and removed all avg and grisoft from there. But in program files grisoft/avg/there is one file that will not delete. It is avgse.dll. Nothing shows in the regestry though. I guess I could probably reinstall now. Gonna think about that for awhile though.
    Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds