AVG Watchdog Service Is Trying To Access The Internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by JohnnyGalaga, May 10, 2011.

1. JohnnyGalaga

JohnnyGalaga Private First Class

This is the message I get from ZoneAlarm. Everything on the internet says it's okay to allow it, but nothing actually explains what it is, what it does, and why it's accessing the internet. I just know it's part of the AVG free virus software.

Can anyone fill me in? I don't like stuff secretly accessing the internet in the background and I want to disable it. So, what is this "Watchdog Service" and how can I stop it permanently?

Thanks.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Stopping or denying 'net access to Watchdog will lower your effective protection; as far as I can recall, it checks for updates and blocks against visiting malware infected sites and checks that your AVG services are all active.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds