1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVG9 creating 500 MB .dmp files every few days!

Discussion in 'Software' started by LA_Cyn, Jan 14, 2010.

1. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Hi,

Does anyone know what is causing AVG9 to create 500+ MB files every few days?

I have an older PC running Win XP with a small 37 GB HD that came with the computer. About a month ago I had about 7 GB storage space available (I save everything to an external HD now & only use my computer's HD for necessary programs). This morning it was down to just over 2 GB available. I'm losing around 1 GB every few days. I used Space Sniffer to check what was gobbling up my hard drive space so quickly. I noticed that the AVG9 antivirus I installed AVG back around November was taking up the most space (just over 6 GB) & comes with the IEToolbar.dll that shows a new big 500+ MB toolbar dll every few days! It looks like it started on Christmas. I don't even use IE unless I absolutely have to. How can I stop these 500+ MB IEToolbar.dll_1234556666777_f.dmp from eating up space every few days?

I've attached that portion of the report from Space Sniffer in another thread
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=207952

Thanks,
    Cynthia

2. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Thanks,

AVG is having me send them the most recent DUMP files & the logs so they can see what the problem is. I am not the only one experiencing this. It was incredibly frustrating to watch my hard drive shrink every day & I wasn't even saving anything on it.

3. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

AVG hasn't gotten back with me & more of those big dump files showed up yesterday. I deleted them & when I tried to uninstall AVG9, the uninstall failed. I saved the log (which is over 6 MB) & the error message was:

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Warning: Action failed for file avgfwfd.inf: file unregistration....
    AVG Firewall NDIS driver uninstallation failed.
    Error 0x1: Couldn't get an interface pointer to gr_avgfwfd. - Possible cause: Incorrect function.
    Error: Action failed for file AVGIDSAgent.exe: stopping service....
    The requested control is not valid for this service.
    Rollback:
    Warning: Action failed for file avgfwfd.inf: file unregistration rollback....
    AVG Firewall NDIS driver installation failed.
    Error 0x1: Couldn't get an interface pointer to gr_avgfwfd. - Possible cause: Incorrect function.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Cynthia

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Cynthia, did you use the AVG uninstaller?

5. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

No I didn't, I tried via Add/Remove programs. I'll grab the uninstaller & try that now.

Thanks

6. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

I used AVGRemover & uninstalled. Then did a CUSTOM re-install like DomLuc suggested. It didn't give me the option not to install the toolbar but when I unchecked what he said (LinkScanner, Email programs & other languages), the toolbar did not re-install. Lets hope that stops the big DUMP files from eating up my HD space.

Thanks,
    Cynthia

7. satrow

That reads like you now have a vanilla install of AVG, any more problems and it'll have to go ^^ I think it should work out ok now though :)

What % free HDD space do you have now?

8. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

I have just over 14 GB of free space now. I don't save much on the computers HD anymore other than necessary programs, & save any downloads or files to an external one.

9. satrow

14GB is ok for reasonable performance ^^ get it defragged (or backup then defrag :))