avi convert to DVD

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulsiam, Apr 28, 2008.

1. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

I am new to converting files and then making htem playable on my DVD player. What is the best programyou recommend for converting a "avi" file to something that will burn as a proper DVD for use on either computer or DVD player?
    It does not have to be freeware; but preferably not a beta edition.
    Thanks
    Paul

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

thanks for the advice. I have Nero 7 Premium, and see Nero Vision is one of the programs there. Can you direct me to an easy to understand guide on how to set all the options, to make the avi file ready to burn to DVD?
    Thanks!

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Nero_Vision_4_DVD_Authoring_Guide_page1.html

Gives you all the basics to get you started using Nero Vision 4 (that is the version that comes with the Nero 7 Suite)

A little piece of advice:
    It is a good idea to buy a DVD-RW disk.
    This way you can set up your movie and burn it to this disk; try it and make sure it is exactly as you want it.
    Then burn your project to a regular DVD-R ot DVD+R.
    That way if you want to make a change you haven't wasted a DVD-R

You can use that same DVD-RW over and over again (I've been using the same 5 that I bought over 5 years ago, and they still are working fine)

5. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

good advice joel. I've also used DVD flick which is really easy to use and will automatically adjust the size of the film to completely fill the DVD. The only negative things I've found with Nero are it's slow AND I've sometimes lost audio-picture synchronisation.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm just going to put a quick commercial in for DVDFlick it's a freeware program that works very well for authoring DVDs.

ConvertXtoDVD is a good reasonably priced payware program.

I, personally, have found NeroVision very buggy and often have failures during the conversion process.

ConvertX is great and fast at converting but the built in burning function has failed me once or twice. I use ConvertX for encoding and then burn with Nero.

DVDFlick seems to do it all, just about all of the time. Here is a user guide if you want to look it over. Flick GuideThe defaults are generally fine.

7. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

thanks fOr this excellent help/
    what a great forum, not only people who know, but people who share theIr knowledge.
    Much apprecIated.
    PAUL

8. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

ALSO I've found Nero uses alote of CPU power when converting an avi file prior to burning, whereas DVDFlick doesn't - strange. DVDFlick is suddenly looking v good.

9. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

so it looks like i will really have to give this DVD Flick a try!
    Can it save the converted file to the hard drive and burn later???

10. sach2

Yes, in Project Settings >left pane Burning> uncheck Burn Project to Disc.

All files are automatically written to your HD in preparation for burning. You'll notice at the bottom of the DVDFlick window there is a destination folder for files which can be changed by browsing to a new location before beginning the conversion process.

11. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

thanks! will try

12. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

nero vision also can burn to the hard drive, so, no disc is needed until you're ready...You can also use nero's player (nero showtime) to watch the movie from the hard drive...

13. sach2

Give DVDFlick a shot. :) Encoding from AVI to DVD only takes about an hour, so it is no huge investment in time. Really the only things you have to change from defaults are in Project Settings>Video [check the target format and choose: NTSC or PAL]; Set your burn options [I uncheck all except Blank disc if it is rewritable].

14. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

i followed the clear guide for Nero Vision 4.
    I got as far as "Burn" (tot he hard drive first; not yet to the DVD.
    When I clicked "Burn", I got error message: as attached. ("Unabled to preapre data for recording;Prepare session failed. Transcoding of videos failed." Also I attach the error report created by Nero.

can you help me with what I did wrong?

The file I want to convert is avi. Set everyhtign as in the Guide to burn to a DVD.

Paul

Attached Files:

15. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

do you have the full version of Nero? or just a freebee/eval version? At first, i was thinking it may be a codec thing, but i know that nero uses its own...you may need to reinstall nero, or do a repair install.

16. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

i do not have the trial verison. It is Nero Premium 7.

I am also experimenting now with DVDFlick to give it a try. I am burning it to the Hard Disk first. But in the folder, I see thatit is output as "mpeg" file. Does this allow me to burn a DVD that can be seen on both computer & DVD player? Before, when using Nero Burning ROM, the guide said to set the output as VOB etc which I could then burn to the DVD and see it on computer or DVD player.

Thanks for help/

17. sach2

I just ran DVDFlick yesterday. You don't get an option for file type. It automatically creates an ISO and DVD folder with VOBs. Vobs are a type of Mpeg file but still should be named VOB.

Are you seeing the Mpegs in the VIDEO_TS folder?

18. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

For the Nero fail it certainly could be a codec thing, since Nero, inorder to transcode anything from its current state to Nero codecs, it needs those codecs installed. My guess would be Xvid and or Divx are not installed. Google Divx and install the newest one if you haven't already and also google Koepi's XviD and install that as well. Or if you want to be sure download GSpot Codec Appliance and install it, from that point on it will be in your right click menu and you can right click an avi and open it with Gspot to see what the file is and if you have the codecs installed.

Xvid, I bet he doesn't have xvid.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds