Avi/mpg Conversions

Discussion in 'Software' started by FED UP, Dec 24, 2006.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I am having trouble converting some AVI and MPG files to standard DVD protocol.
    What i would like to do is convert these file and burn them to DVD-R discs so that they may be played on standard DVD players.
    I have tried NERo, and Windows Media Player, and cant figure out how to get this done.
    My hardware is capable of performing the operation, as a have a double-layer DVD burner .

Please help.

MERRY CHRISTMAS/KWANZAA/HOLIDAYS, WHATEVER YOUR VERSION OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS MAY BE !
    :p

2. artis

artis Private E-2

Hi, you need nero vision express, & probably the dvd plugin.

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I am unable to get that nero program to do this.
    What i need is a simple program that will convert AVI and other codecs to standard DVD format, so i can burn to DVD-R and play on any normal DVD player .

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

A simple program that is fast is WinAvi converter, but it is pay software. You could try this link for freeware. Pretty much use defaults[although I would not make an .iso but opt for the VIDEO_TS folder--Nero can burn this even without the DVD plugin] and see what quality it produces.

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/article_avi2dvd_page1.html

5. artis

artis Private E-2

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

UPDATE:

I have located a freeware application called AVI2DVD .

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/Software/Avi2Dvd.html

It is quite slow in the conversion process, but im not gonna complain about that since it is freeware.
    It is currently in the process of converting House Of 1000 Corpses from AVI to DVD format. At this time, an hour remains before completion of conversion.
    I will post again to let you folks know if it worked properly. Thanks to those who offered help .

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Just for comparison, a 140000MB file takes about 2.5 hrs. using Nero 7 to convert on an Athlon 64 3000.

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

correct me if i am wrong but isn't 140000mb equal to 140gb (roughly),
    my nero7 takes about 1 hour 30 mins for a 700mb avi file to be converted and burned to dvd to play in a stand alone, with 512 ddr400 and celeron 'd' 3.2 cpu

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Oopsie, I meant 1.4 GB

10. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Well, the AVI2DVD created 8 files, types i am unfamiliar with .
    it appears it created seperate file for video and audio and god knows what else.
    I was hoping it would create a single DVD file .

:(

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

12. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi,
    do you have the full version (paid) of nero ?
    if you do all you need to do is open startsmart and in the window that opens there will be a drop down box at the top, click on this and choose 'dvd' then go to 'photo and video' and choose 'make your own dvd video' - another window will open, from this click on 'add video files' - another window will open, in the drop down to the right of 'location' navigate to where your file is, when you have found it click on 'open' at the bottom, nero will automatically add it to your project, then just keep clicking 'next' at the bottom till you come to 'burn', when you click on 'burn' nero will automatically transcode the file then burn it and about 2 hours later you will have your dvd,
    this is the way i do it

13. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

There is a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder, among other files that i have no clue what they are.
    I can access the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS by clicking on the DVD folder (created by AVI2DVD).
    Ive been jacking with this all day trying to get it to work. !
    :(

14. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

In my frustration, i deleted nero from my computer. It made many changes in my media files unassociated with the files i was working with . It also decided to make itself my default media player without my authorization . So I will have to solve the problems without Nero .

15. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

16. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Okay, sorry for the delay (holidays, work, etc.) , I have re-installed nero, and am now going to attempt the burn . I used WinAviVideoConverter to create a video_ts file. I tried to burn the DVD using WinAviVideoConverter but it wouldnt ever start burning . It stuck at 10% complete, the time remaining continued to climb slowly UPWARDS until i cancelled - the time remaining had reached over 5 hours (after starting at about 1 hour) .
    So here we go . . . .

17. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Heres a good question .

I downloaded and re-installed NERO . It is a demo version with what appears to be an expiration date for at least some features . My machine came pre-loaded with NERO when i bought it . Is there some way of registering the downloaded NERO so that i have full use of all functions without an expiration date ? Im certain the NERO is on my system restore disks, i wonder if theres a way to reload NERO onto my harddrive without doing an entire system restore . .

18. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

and im still wondering .

19. artis

artis Private E-2

Hi, you probably don't want to hear this. I don't know how to get the license for your original Nero. The only way I can see is, take a ghost image of your system as it is now. Install the original software, get the license, & reinstall the ghost image.
    If you haven't got ghost, Hirens Boot cd has a version.

Now, using winavi Nero vison express or AVI2DVD to create 2 folders AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS.
    I never see anything in the AUDIO folder, open up the VIDEO folder, select all the files & burn as a video with nero.

I got fed up with Nero & found Free Easy burner http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

But I use the burn part of winavi to create the DVD's, that works fine for me.

;)

20. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Use DVDFlick. It's an all-in-one conversion/burning utility. It will convert just about any media video file (including .avi, .mpeg, .rm, .wmv, .mov, .mkv, and many more) into standard DVD format and it burns these files to a blank DVD disc for playback in your home player. DVDFlick has ImgBurn built-in which performs the burning. There's a couple of things you need to be aware of first: always put a blank DVD in the burner before opening DVDFlick; Be sure you have at least 10gb in free hard drive space for each conversion (you can set DVD Flick to remove these files when you're finished); after installing DVDFlick, go to C:\ProgramFiles\DVDFlick\ImgBurn and launch ImgBurn by double clicking on the .exe file. When it opens, set the burn speed for 4x and close the program. It will remember the selected burn speed; you'll get MUCH better results by using the slower burn speeds, anything above 8x seems to not playback as well and I've found 4x to be perfect every time. It takes a bit longer, but it's better than having to throw away a disc because you can't watch it. Anyway, here's the link for DVDFlick: http://www.majorgeeks.com/DVD_Flick_d5530.html and here's a link to the how-to guide: http://www.dvdflick.net/guide.php It's a VERY easy to use program, once you successfully create 3 or 4 DVD's, it'll be second nature... too cool! :cool
    If you have any questions, post 'em here or PM me.... good luck!

21. pabloo

pabloo Private E-2

Personally i never got on too well with nero so I've used other software such as Imgburn but still to no avail. I've followed guide after guide, every step by step instruction and from all my efforts all Ive got to show is a stack of coasters. I have an old b movie from about 20 years back on my comp, given to me by a friend and i would just like to sit back with a beer and watch the film. Ive used VSO's divxtodvd and more recently dvdflick. The latter seems to be better so far, but as always after so long the dvd just starts to skip and it becomes unbearable. Do you have the same problem 'FED UP'? or does nothing work for you? my PS2 would last longer than my dvd player, but only accepts the dvd's from VSO's effort but not from dvdflick.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Meantime, i'm going clay pigeon shooting with my coasters.

22. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've never had problems with either VSO or DVDFlick. Well, I did have some problems with an older version of VSO, but never with DVD Flick. Maybe either your DVD burner or your DVD player has some issues if all the disks skip. I would try the movies in a different player, and maybe try burning one at a friends house, just to see if it's hardware related....

23. pabloo

pabloo Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.

24. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you burn,particularly a DVD, do not go for speed. I always unselect optimum and burn at a very slow speed. It is better to waste the time on a slow burn and get a good movie than to burn fast and get a marginal CD/DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds