Avira 10 status "Unknown"

Discussion in 'Software' started by usagibrian, Apr 1, 2010.

1. usagibrian

usagibrian Private E-2

I've upgraded to Avira 10, and I'm getting the closed umbrella icon in the tray and a status of "Unknown" in the control panel. I've run through the winsock reset suggested at the Avira site, and there's no change. Updates appear to be working, but I can't seem to get the program to shift to an active state.
    Win XP. Any thoughts?

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Have you tried reinstalling?
    Are you running an administrator account?

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Did you restart after the installation?

The guard cannot be activated until a full restart.

4. usagibrian

usagibrian Private E-2

Yes, several restarts, and yes, it's installed using the administrator account.

Full uninstall/reinstall next?

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Looks like it! :(

6. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Just meaning reinstalling Antivir; not your OS, in case that's what you're thinking.
    I would just try a reinstall over the top as a first option, without uninstalling the existing Antivir. Just re-run your installation exe file. Should only take a minute or two.

7. usagibrian

usagibrian Private E-2

Sadly, didn't solve it. Will try the full replace next.

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

:(
    If reinstall doesn't work, you may like to try manually starting the service (in XP, under Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services and find Avira Antivir Guard in the right panel. Right click on it and click on Start. You could also check Properties (under right click) and make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just to add if you do a full removal run Revo Uninstaller (as Avira have no specific tool for version 10, just older versions afaik) getting rid of any left over files, left over files can at times hinder a good install, this tool removes the program files and registry entries that can be left over.

then re-install.

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Good advice there Halo.

Revo is a great programme to make sure ALL files to do with the installation are removed.

11. usagibrian

usagibrian Private E-2

Second that. Very handy. And it solved the problem. Thank you both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds