Avira Anti virus V's AVG 8.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by sexyandy81, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello There,

Just a quick question for the members on here.

Which anti virus program is better in their opinion? Avira Anti Virus or AVG 8.0

Thanks

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

The reason im asking is that I ran a scan on AVG 8.0 and it found nothing and I ran a scan on Avira and found 4 viruses on my computer.

So its come to my decision that AVG 8.0 dont detect as good as Avira does.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Avira detects more false positives then most, so your assuming that it is accurate. Your also using AVG 8.0 when 8.5 is out. Not a fair comparison in any way.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

AVG 8.5 is it free to download

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

Did you notice MG' slogan on top of that link there? LOL Perhaps someone can unravel it. :-D

BTW: When AVG announced the update to 8.5 a couple of days ago, I clicked the "later" button. So far they haven't offered it again yet. Therefore, I want to install it today. Does that mean I will have to remove version 8 first? Thanks.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've read a bunch of times from people that Avira detects a lot of false positives as MA stated.

I've been using it for 3 years and I think it has detected 2 false positives.

I like it a lot. 'cept the nag screen when it updates. But at least I know it's updating. ;)

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Well, I install more software then most, so I am uniquely qualified to tell you how many more false positives it gets. Few people I know install hundreds to thousands of new software a year typically. Oma, yes, there have been some issues upgrading to 8.5, I would uninstall first. I think ill try it now :)

10. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

It's all personal preference. I use Avast! with absolutely no false positives like others say. Personally, I've tried them all (pretty much) and AVG keeps on pestering about upgrades and falsely tries to force users into upgrading older versions, saying they'll stop updating older versions and keep changing that cutoff date. Avira has problems updating, and in my past experience, "phones home" too much (I tried it when I had dial-up and my modem went nuts, my already restricted bandwith choked on it).

I've been clean for as long as I've been using this:

I use Spyware Terminator with the Real-Time Shield enabled, SpyBot mainly for the immunization feature (It's great for your host file protection and can replace Spyware Blaster), MalwareBytes for weekly scanning, and I use Avast! for anti-virus needs. I also disable activeX in IE, install IE7Pro, and use mainly Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Download Statusbar (with it, I can easily have everything I download scanned by Avast!). And Windows Firewall is more than enough with a hardwire router between your computer and the modem.

Hope that helps!

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

And I'm certainly not going to argue with you. ;)

I'm just coming from the point of view of the average computer user and I have not gotten many false positives. Most people aren't going to download even a fraction of what you do onto their computers.

12. oma

oma MajorGeek

So far, I have yet to find a FP with AVG. Just switched to AVG 8.5 and went for a demand scan. It seems to go a bit faster than with v 8.

What Avira and Avast are concerned I've tried them in the past. Definitely didn't like the man's voice that an update was done in Avast. It shocked me every time. :-D Yep, I liked their boot scan. Didn't like the nag screen with Avira. Now I know that both irritants can be removed but am used to AVG and like it. Just do a custom install without the link scanner and other stuff one doesn't need.

13. Blades

Blades Sergeant Major (Ret)

Being a long time user of AVG..i was very hesitant to move to 8.xx After reading here the many voices ( of whom I trust ) I finally got on the bus and went with AVG 8.5.285...no bloat. A big THANKS to all who helped.
    Blades:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds