Avira Versus Vipre

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomas_nuffan, Dec 16, 2010.

1. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

So at my place of employment, a computer repair shop catered to business, we as a company push Vipre products on our clients.

However, on a personal level very much dislike the program and think its installation is a pain, ability to kill it's processes from the task manager and its scanning process not that strong.

Coming here to MajorGeeks in this past month I came across Avira and have been testing it on the side and have been very happy with its results. Installation is simple, virus dectection (to my perspective) appears to be pretty strong and the use of the Rescue CD makes Avira a very powerful tool in my line of work.

what I want to know is, what do you guys think out of these two programs?

Do any of you share similar thoughts or is there any of you that disagree with me?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I see very few systems using Vipre in the malware forums. Avira takes a much higher presence. You have to measure them by how well you like the interfaces and the easy of use. My vote would be for Avira. :major

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And take into consideration that Avira is consistently one of the top AV programs listed as freeware.
    How is that for price?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was a beta tester for CounterSpy (1 and 1.5) then Vipre (sorry I don't remember version numbers) on several home computers running 98 and windows 2000. I was satisfied with both and the customer service. Eric Howes, who was the original whistle-blower on all the fake antivirus programs (website was Spyware Warrior) was hired by Sunbelt so I feel they have a top-notch team of pros working the security aspect.
    Personally, I prefer free to pay so I eventually moved away from Sunbelt and free AVG and settled on AntiVir. I also dislike suites and Sunbelt was moving in that direction.
    The only paid security program I run is Malwarebytes. IMHO, viruses aren't as much of a threat these days as they used to be. The hackers seem intent on worms, rootkits trojans and program exploits so a malware detector seems more important than a virus detector.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds