Back again... Svchost.exe/Windows-Update/CPU/PIN

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlwaysInfected, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AlwaysInfected

AlwaysInfected Private First Class

Ok so, basically im slowly losing it because of this...

I scanned my PC n the malware dept. said i do not have a malware issue that could be causing this. They redirected me back to Software but told me to try switching the Update service to "manual" from automatic. This was last night. I logged on this morning n things seemed to be running smoother than normal. Usually it's inevitable about 4-5 minutes after initial windows startup...

So anyhow it took a few hours n before u know it i can hear my cpu/fans r whateva at high speeds on the laptop n i open up task manager n bam. svchost.exe is running at 93k-120k n has the cpu pinned n of course the two trouble makers that seem to be causing it are at it. (winauclt.exe & wmiprvse.exe)

I then have to end both those processes about 8 times a piece (they reapear) before the svchost.exe finally tames down...

Yesterday was a mess I have to browse with my task manager open, monitoring the processes n making sure both those processes don't appear n if they do i can end them before they get svchost.exe going but its a tedious job :(

Now Id'e like to get to the bottom of this because at this point you guys is all i have. I've never dealt with this kind of nonense but would like to put an end to it...

The BS never ends. if it ain't malware it's programs having a mind of there own!!!!

:cry

thanks....

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

OK. So you got a computer (either laptop or desktop) that runs Window$ (some version) that don't have malware. That would narrow it down to hardware or software. Have you added hardware or software recently? Is your hard drive full (or almost full)? Have you done a scandisk to check the hard drive? Does your laptop or desktop run hot? Can you download the hard drive mfg utility to check the hard drive for errors (similar to check disk, but more thorough)?
    A little more information about your system would be helpful.

3. AlwaysInfected

Clearly I didnt see my first post about this about a week ago...

I have a hp Laptop XP2, Harddrive is damn near empty n no i havent added any hardware or odd software. I updated from AVG7.5 to the 8.0.1 or whateva but ran into some issues n didnt like it overall n am with Avast 4.8 other than that no other changes.

Don't know what a scandisk is n where to access it, Does it run hot? sure when the svchost.exe is spiked by wuaclt.exe it does rolleyes
    Hard drive mfg utility:confused if u could be a bit more elaborate it would be helpful aswell :-D
    thanks.

4. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Scandisk is an App in Windows that scans your disk

5. AlwaysInfected

Great thanks so what do i do? Run? Search my system for scandisk? If i knew where to locate things or of their existance i probably wouldn't be here... anyhow i need help on this issue n someone who can maybe guide me in the direction in soliving this problem.

Thanks...

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

How to Run ScanDisk in Windows XP

1) Open "My Computer" in Windows XP.

2) Find the icon for the hard drive you want to run ScanDisk on. You can run ScanDisk on the system's primary hard drive and also on any secondary hard drives or external hard drives. Right-click on the icon for the hard drive and select "Properties."

3) Choose the "Tools" tab from the hard drive properties window. The ScanDisk utility can be activated from the Error-checking box at the top of the Tools tab. To begin, click the "Check Now" button.

4) Note the two check boxes displayed. You will want to choose the "Automatically Fix File System Errors" box. This will perform a basic fast scan of the drive, which will take only a few minutes.

5) Put a check in the "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors" box for a more thorough scan. With this checked, Windows XP will take 10 hours or longer to run ScanDisk depending on the size of your hard drive. Run this if you have noticed a problem with the hard drive's performance. For regular checks, run the basic check most of the time and the longer check only occasionally.

6) Hit the "Start" button to start ScanDisk.

7) Wait for Windows XP to finish running ScanDisk and view the report. ScanDisk will tell you what errors it found and fixed. Click the "Close" button when you are finished viewing the report.

dr.m :)

7. AlwaysInfected

Aight so i did the Scandisk. Everything is fine from what i can see but the Wuaclt.exe n svchost thing is still the same from what i can see.

I know that it usually happens on startup n then i notice that when i open Windows media player right around 30 secs to a minute after wuaclt.exe starts poppin up again n needs to be deleted a number of times as usually so it doesnt spike svchost.exe

I assume this is a new thing as im not having much success with anything but I hope we can resolve this matter.....
    :cool

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Check your settings in windows media player under Tools/Options. Be sure it is not selected to check for updates once a day (you can cancel checking completely but you can change it to once a month). Maybe all the wu (windows update) popping up are from various programs trying to check for updates as soon as you open them.
    Everything I have, I put on manual and I also tell my firewall to not let things out. Most of my things, like WMP and IE, have to ask permission to access the internet.
    Firefox is allowed to go without asking permission every time. :-D

9. AlwaysInfected

hmm well it was set on once a week n i put it too once a month so i don't think it was that.

N for example i can turn off WMA n back on various times a day n each time that **** starts going.. I gotta open task manager when i open wma to catch n end the Wuaclt.exe's before they shoot my scvhost n spike my cpu.:(

By the looks of this i don't think this is a resolvable issue.. :cry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  10. dr.moriarty

<edit by Administrator>

Keep the solution in the forums, not PM, otherwise those trying to help cannot see what has already been suggested, and those trying to follow with similar problems in future won't be able to see all steps taken. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  11. AlwaysInfected

Dr. I completely missed this post, what happened?

12. dr.moriarty

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  13. AlwaysInfected

Where do i access "group Policy/wmplayer.adm"? I have WMA 11

14. dr.moriarty

What is your OS?

Group Policy Management Console
    If you're using any other OS, you must use the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) instructions.

dr.m

15. AlwaysInfected

Um yea.. Im not gonna all that. This is something that happened in the past 3 weeks or so it was running as is fine for 4 years im not gonna go into all that to change something that always has been.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, atleast you're making an effort. Im clueless, normally i have an idea of what may have initialized something such as malware but since this isnt the case im a little confused.

16. dr.moriarty

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

18. AlwaysInfected

Aaaahhhhh Im sooooooo Sick of this BUULLLLSSHHITTTT...

Im almost convinced it has to be a virus but Chaslang says i don't have any malware issues. :cry lol

Anyhow I don't want folks to think this is just triggered by WMA cuz for example yesterday i had company. I turned off all proggys n left windows on to have dinner.
    The cpu was floating between 3 n 6% As im eating about 15 mins later i hear the cpu fans going nuts n then 5-7 minutes after my laptop shut down! :cry

this happened 2wice!

But of course just now.. I had opened WMA n usually now since this has been happening i open task manager right after n wait for the wuaclt.exe to pop n then close the normally 3-4 reappearences of the processes before it's safe n good to go....

So anyhow after opening wma this time i got distracted n made a call to my mom n after i got off i could hear the cpu u fans buzzing n i look at Task manager n Wuaclt was at 60k n change n the svchost had my cpu pinned @100% I then was forced to go on a mad man wuaclt.exe process ending spree. Atleast 22 instances n then like 4 wmiprvse.exe aswell.
    N when i say shutting off that many intances i don't mean there were that many visibly but every time i shut it down it instantly reappears that many times till it finally ives up n then svchost floats back down to normal n this only happens if im lucky enough to do this process fast enough before the 100% shuts down my laptop from the overheat!

Im in desperate need of a resolve:cry

Im taking that this is something new! I did not wanna be the test dummy for this annoyance but dammit! I believe we can figure this out... rolleyes

anyhow thanks for replying halo. Which version would for Windows XP-2? X86 or 64?

N if im not mistaken i think i tried this the other day with no luck....

19. dr.moriarty

20. AlwaysInfected

Thanks sir, i was hoping something of this kind was available, I will give it a try n reply tomm.

Thanks alot for your continued support!:cool

21. AlwaysInfected

K so i used dial a fix last night before i shutdown I checked the Wu-Wua update fixer n proceeded. then i shutdown n today when i started up it seemed to have no effect.

I had this Wuaclt.wmiprsve.exe issue today numerous times without having to open WMA so again this is def something broader.

Iv'e done n have been doing research on this matter n haven't really come up with many solutions n the one i see the most really isn't doing it which is this.......

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

Maybe this can tell you something further i dunno.... :(

22. dr.moriarty

Hello, Always

While still doing research, I've found info that may suggess a possible defect in your Rpcrt4.dll file. re: wmiprsve.exe<---- also there're references to wmiprsve.exe's high CPU usage when a trial software has expired and it's trying to get you to buy the full version.

*Still looking,
    dr.m ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  23. AlwaysInfected

There we go! I was thinking the same thing today when i made my last post n was gonna ask about there being a possible seperate issue with Wmiprsve.exe n that possibly being the prominant issue.

Iv'e been noticing that while Wuaclt.exe spikes the svchost.exe, SVChose won't cool out until I end several instances of Wmiprsve aswell...

N you since we did the fix for Wuaclt n the Microsoft fixes n solutions n nothing did the trick im guessing it def. must be the Wmiprsve.exe aswell. :-D

We will get to the bottom of this!:major

N thanks man!

24. AlwaysInfected

Any updates on whats goin on with wmiprsve.exe Dr M? or what it is? is it a program?

25. dr.moriarty

26. dr.moriarty

27. AlwaysInfected

thank you sir. Your continued dedication n support is admirable n highly appreciated! I will look into this n get back to you ASAP!!!!

Thanks again!:major

28. dr.moriarty

You're Welcome!

Truth be told.. I'm about to run out of things to try, Always... I hope someone jumps in with more for you to try.... with good results!;)

dr.m

29. AlwaysInfected

well im not really sure what im lookin at with security task manager or what its for so hmm.. N registry booster is lame. It does a scan, locates a bunch of BS n then says u can clean it up after you purchase it...rolleyes

I might just throw my laptop out the window. That would be a permanent fix.
    :major

30. AlwaysInfected

I need a full effort this time..

I can't live like this anymore.... Why the F--- do i need to shut off 15+ intances of wmiprsve.exe for svchost to let up n my cpu %tage to go down? N why does this randomly happen so that i have to keep my task manager open while im browsing the web so i can atttempt to prevent it from happenin?!?!?!?!

Id'e rather someone tell me there is no fix then get 300+ views n only help from one person. I can't believe a site this great and elaborate has never seen or doesnt know a resolution to this issue. :confused

Wtf is this? Why is it happening? WHY!! F---in tired of starting my computer n my cpu spikes n sits at 100% n then prematurely shutsdown n im tired of baby sittin my task manager its goin on like a month..

31. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: I need a full effort this time..

With all due respect, which in this case isn't a lot, with that kind of attitude, I won't help.

Its likely others feel the same.

Take a deep breath, calm down, stop the cursing, and come back posting nicely, and I reckon we can help you better.

Everyone here is doing this for free, they won't help you if you are acting like a jerk.

32. AlwaysInfected

I only have this tone because i posted this same problem (now for the third time) the first time i got nothing) the second time i got what i stated 3-400+ views n only Dr. M tried helping n i didn't get a resolve... So i basically am not raising a tone with people so to speak but it's coupled with my internet browsing as of late due to this issue...

Ud'e be just as upset if you were in my shoes.

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I am sure I would be upset, but I wouldn't direct my anger towards a forum of FREE tech help.

I've no doubt if you want to pay for it, the problem could be resolved quite handily.

Start over. Be precise in what is happening.

1. What kind of internet access do you have?
    2. Have you seen if this problem occurs in Safe Mode w/ Networking?

34. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Merged two of the threads together so some advice is not repeated.

At times each issue is different, even with a common service spiking the CPU, could be a multitude of things causing this as everyones PC setup is different and likely cause is a 3rd party application, to trace what the cause is will take time.

Boot to safe mode? is it the same? if ok in that area then continue back to normal mode and disable all startups ( can now use CCleaner and its latest version allows you to manage startups ~ click tools > startup and click to highligh a startup and choose disable ) then enable one at a time to see what one is causing the spike.

List all of your security software installed.

Is your Windows version up to date fully with all Service Packs and hotfixes?

and one I dont like saying as a fix, but after this lenght of time and maybe even not finding the cause is the possible last resort of re-install with fresh XP install, can slipstream SP3 into your XP cd to allow you to be fully current, will post a link to an ok guide I did on slipstreaming if you decide at some point to go this route.

35. AlwaysInfected

Be precise in what is happening? I can't be precise about something that doesn't have a clocked schedule n is random I have explained it. It doesn't seem to be tied to any one particular program. It stems from Wuaclt.exe or Wmiprsve.exe which is the initiator i havent the slightest idea...

I know that it spikes whichever svchost that seems to be connected to windows. In other words if i end that particular svchost my task bar turns beige or white n all my programs n online stops functioning...

Anyhow what happens I already know its routine more or less. I start my comp. when windows is loaded i open task manager ASAP n wait for the wuaclt.exe to pop n it kicks in at 6k+ n then gradually increases till its the lead process which gets that svchost going nuts. (this is if i ignore it n don't end several instances of it) Basically the calming down of the cpu/svchost process if it has spiked n doesn't shut down my laptop is i end like 3-4 wuaclt.exes' 15-20 wmiprsve.exes' n 2 more wuaclt.exe (Mind you they arent all there together i have to wait several moments inbetween their reoccurances... which leads to me most of the time having a premature shutdown due to the perputual 100%cpu spike while it's doing so....

Anyhow i have ADSL dial up running a XP2

I didnt have this issue prior nor ever n iv'e been online for over 10 years.. so i dont even know where to start. I cant seem to update windows either it doesn't initiate or if i get to see the windows update pop screen with what needs to be updated i click continue/ok n nothing happens after that n it just runs at 100% (my cpu) that is....

Chaslang apparently says I dont have a malware issue but at this point i somehow believe otherwise...

I have great faith in this forum, tis why i come here. If i wanted to get this problem fixed by a tech physically i garuntee id'e be paying for a reformat N since i don't believe those are necessary 9 outa 10 times n only in extreme situations I refues to for the time being.

Thanks.

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try Safemode w/ Networking like I asked, please.

37. AlwaysInfected

I forgot to mention what does that mean? I know how to get into safe mode from reboot, its f8 correct? But what do u mean "Networking in safemode:confused

38. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Look right below the safe mode option when you hit F8.

Do you see SafeMode w/ Networking?

39. AlwaysInfected

Halo here is a screen cap of my startup progs... [​IMG]

40. AlwaysInfected

I dunno i was waiting for your reply but it should be there when i do so correct? What do i do if so? Select it n then what? does it do something on its own?

41. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No...you test your system and see if the problem persists. The networking components are active to allow you to browse the internet.

42. AlwaysInfected

Oh i see so i just go in on safemode with networking n i can run things as normal but just check if that issue arises? i'll be right back...

43. AlwaysInfected

hmm well I went in on SafeMode with networking i had 14 processes running but i couldnt really open anything. Not WMP or sign on or anything but i didnt have that issue with wuaclt or wmiprsve.exe n i stayed on for about 10 mins..
    :confused

44. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

45. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

have you got automatic updates turnoff,right click my computer go to properties.windows update and see if it is turn off..also you could send a better view of startups program in help & support-go to porfomance and maintiance then tools scroll down to system config.then startup..post a screenshot of that..

46. AlwaysInfected

[​IMG]

Its the same stuff n yes i turned off auto updates today since it wasn't doing its job n slighlty tames the problem....

47. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No firewall, antivirus, or spyware protection running.

Asking for trouble?

When is the last time you scanned for viruses?

48. AlwaysInfected

huh?

I had Avg 7.5 for the longest then updated to 8.0.1 n now im on AVASt N I use spyware blaster n Adaware.

I keep my antimalware stuff fresh n up to date.

Problem is as of late i wasn't able to fully run a S&D or Super Anti Spyware scan because the process runs my cpu to hell n will shutdown my laptop. I didn't have such an issue before although it has happened. All i can think of to resolve this is maybe more ram....

49. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The screenshot clearly shows no AV, firewall or AS software running.

50. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Actually it does show AWIL's Avast loading. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds